This Disappears When Logged In

Tips on a Tomato Frog...

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Frogflorist, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Frogflorist

Frogflorist Member

I recently acquired a juvenile tomato frog (a little over an inch long.) He is currently housed in a 2 1/2 gallon terrarium with eco earth substrate, a small plant, a hidey hole and shallow water dish. The enclosure is covered on 3 sides for privacy. I have been researching but as usual, I am finding a lot of contradictory information. Do I need supplemental lighting or heat? Daytime temps are 75 to 80 F and I have been keeping the humidity around 70%. I have several arboreal frogs (a whites and a cuban, NOT together) but do not have any experience with a "ground" frog. Any tips?????

2. ReptileGuy10

ReptileGuy10 Banned User

It isn't like totally a "must" but UV lighting would be nice, your temps. are good and just keep up the humidity and you should be fine.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

you need to upgrade that tank. a 2.5 gallon tank is not big enough, not even for a baby. I would go for a 10 gallon minimum. You need to provide a heat gradient if he wants to warm up, so I would add a 25 watt light bulb to one side. This will provide slightly warmer temps as well as a day/night light cycle. Keep it on for 12 hours. I usually turn my tanks on at 7:00 am.

4. Frogflorist

Frogflorist Member

Thanks for the info. I am going this weekend for a bigger tank ( the 2 1/2 gallon is a "loaner" until I could get a better set up. I don't think I could use any kind of light in it without heating the entire tank?) I am pretty much leaving the baby alone, other than feeding, water changing and clean ups, so he/she can get acclimated to a new home.

5. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Larger tanks are essential because they allow you to create a thermal gradient. You can do so by using a spot bulb. If you feel that given the current ambient temperature of the room (75 to 80F), using a light would raise the ambient temperature throughout the tank, you can prevent this by using a longer tank (15 gallons) and a low watt bulb. You want to maintain the 75*F cooler area, but as Liz said, provide a way for the frog to warm up. :)

It's good you're remaining hands off and letting him get acclimated! :)

6. Frogflorist

Frogflorist Member

We're up to a 10 gallon at least for now. The tiny frog seems to be adjusting well- moving around more and has a healthy appetite. The humidity levels are more difficult to maintain though. There are several plants in the tank (in terracotta pots for now) and I have used ecoearth for substrate. Anyone have any info on incorporating living moss? Is there still a potential for impaction problems? Or leaf litter?

Attached Files:

7. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

With respect to the humidity, have you tried covering the screen top with plastic, wood, or plexiglass?