This Disappears When Logged In

Tips for Breeding Night Crawlers

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by cbbrown, Apr 24, 2014.

1. cbbrown

cbbrown Active Member

I plan on this summer breeding night crawlers since i'm sick of always having to buy worms for my three salamanders. I was wondering what is the best way to breed night crawlers or earth worms?

Would a basement be cool enough for either of those?
    Would a 27 gallon tub be big enough and deep enough?
    Is topsoil and compost manure good substrate for the worms?
    What can i feed them that will keep smells to a minimum, my mother in law has forbidden the them to stink, even if it's in a stinky basement?

2. snakenator

snakenator Member

Sorry, I don't have the answer to many of these questions. But the 27 gal. tub should be big enough for a lot of worms. I am thinking about doing the same as you. The cost of each container of worms does add up fast.

3. jarich

jarich Elite Member

More than big enough yes, but you'll want to cover the sides if you use a tank. You only need about 4-6 inches of soil, and they are escape artists too so watch out. Don't use manure, no, just regular soil is fine. Shred a bunch of newspaper and cover the soil in a few inches of that. It'll help retain moisture and keep the fruit flies down while you figure out how much to feed them. I'd recommend buying the African nightcrawlers if you're breeding them inside. They don't mind the higher temps, like the Canadian ones do. As for foods, whatever you have for vegetable scraps really. I use a grinder, throw in some scraps, add in some eggshell for calcium and your golden.

4. AmandaQM

AmandaQM Active Member

I raised red wigglers and night crawlers for my garden and chickens last year and am likely going to start up again. Just like the person above said, clean, unfertilized, pesticide free soil is good to start with, along with shredded newspaper, dried/decaying leaves, and fruit/veggie scraps. Any kind of paper that isn't shiney works. Keeping the soil moist is good so they don't dry up.
    Worms will only breed if there is enough room, and enough "good" food (meaning not moldy/chemical filled junk). Believe me when I say that you can't just give them anything. I bought a premade fruit platter that tasted weird to me, put it in the worm bin, and it killed my whole stock. You can youtube worm bins and vermiculture to learn about different setups and care info :)