This Disappears When Logged In

tip of tail turning black

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by joeker, May 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeker

joeker Member

I just noticed that the tip of my Australian wd (Zooki) tail is turning black. I am almost positive that it is not a broken tail. I'm going to make an appointment with a vet, but I was wondering if anybody can tell me what the heck is going on? I,m sorry to keep chiming in but after the CWD died I don't want to become death for any lizard coming into my house. Thanks again everyone.

2. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

If only the tip of its tail is turning, could it be possible that he hasn't shed it properly? -if so try a long soak,. unshed skin, particularly in areas like the eyes and tail end, can cause a loss of blood supply resulting in that area becoming damaged.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It's also possible that the tail tip has been damaged and is dying off. This may have occured when the dragons tail whipped up against something. Does it look like it is drying up? If the black appears to be traveling up the tail you need to get it to a vet asap.

4. Ebone' Patton

Ebone' Patton Well-Known Member

It could be tail rot.

5. joeker

joeker Member

What is tail rot? Is it treatable?

We've got an appointment tomorrow with a vet recommended by Pets Inc. tomorrow. I'll feel much better when he's seen by the doctor.

6. Ebone' Patton

Tail rot is treatable but only vets can treat it. Still, people don't know what causes tail rot.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Are you talking about dry gangrene? If so they know what causes it. There is an injury to the tail that becomes infected. If not treated the infection travels up the tail into the body of the animal.

8. Ebone' Patton

Yeah, Merlin. That's what I ment. I was proably thinking about something else, my bad.

9. joeker

joeker Member

Hi!

Took the little guy to the vet this weekend. The vet said the black tip is not dead. He thinks this might be new growth, but we put a drop of red nail polish at the juncture to see if the black appears to be growing above the present boundary. He believes Zooki could have had tail damage & it's now growing back. He showed us how the black part is supple & not at all dried out. Other than the tail problem, he told us Zooki is in good condition, very alert & well nourished.

This makes us very happy. He's a wonderful little guy.

10. joeker

joeker Member

Hi!

Zooki is doing quite well. He eats like a pig. I think he looks like an egg with legs. His brother is still at the pet shop. We visit him at least twice a week when we go for more food.

Does anyone have helpful hints to help us make this guy accept handling? For a little guy he sure bites hard!
    :eek:

11. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Glad to hear he's doing ok - how's his tail now?

To tame him.. haha patience and persistence! :p
    Be slow, calm and take it steady - let him get used to your presence in the enclosure before you jump to the next stage. Put your hand in, without touching him, and let him wander about you, and other than that just go in to feed, clean and give him water. Gradually, as he learns to trust you, try hand-feeding, and then build up slowly to touching and holding.

It's the same with many animals - if you rush in there and take it too quickly you may lose the animals trust forever, but take it steady and be patient and you should build up a relationship with each other.

Some individuals ofcourse are always more flighty though!

12. lizardgirl22

lizardgirl22 Member

A lizard wanting to be held I think only comes after time. They generally are scared when they bite or react when held. They just have to get used to it and you. They also have to trust you and that your not going to hurt them. With my water dragon, everytime I held her I rubbed her head and under neck. This familiarized her with me and the act of being held. She is ver comfortable with being handled now. Goodluck with yours.. it just takes patience I think. :D

13. Ebone' Patton

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.