This Disappears When Logged In

Tiny Tonka

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Jade, Apr 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade

Jade Supporting Member

Pictures of poor litte Tonka he was with his last owner for about 9 years
    i imagine that store they got him from didnt give tehm any good advice on how to care for him he has no tail ther something wrong with his back legs they move ok but they look weird, his shell is lopsided and has an old crack in it
    all the peely spots on the bottom of his shell are dry and im not sure what to do about that but he will be seeing a vet
    he doesnt really seem to have a pattern on his shell but he does have those two yellow spots behind his head that i thought would help get an ID on him i think he's a box turtle but dont know what kind, and if he is a box his hinge doesnt work much he looks pretty beat up but he moves around ok, he's eating and his shell seems firm but i'll check for soft spots his poo looks real messy but he was eating mostly apples so maybe his new food will help that out and not having a tail means the poo gets all over his back end so i guess im going to have to wash him alot
    if someone could point me towards a caresheet for keeping box turtles inside in a tank that would be appreciated, im getting alot of sites that say they hace to be outside but he's so small and i want to keep an close eye on him i'd rather keep him inside, right now he has papertowels a shallow waterdish, a 60 watt bulb for some heat, im taking him outside for uvb until i get a fixture for him and i put his food in the corner, he ate a collard green leaf yesterday and i tryed squash and collards today, maybe i'll find him an earthworm to eat aswell

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Awww Jade, what little cuties, they look quite big till you see them in your hands :D

3. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Yeah, Zane was right. That's definately not normal shedding. It looks like he might have shell rot. On his plastron it looks like it goes to the bone. I think you can buy meds to help treat shell rot, but if you know a good herp vet, he could definately use it. He could also hace a serious calcium deficiency. Feed him lots of calcium rich veggies, like bok choy, collard greens, and dandelions, and dust his food with calcium powder since he can eat on land.

4. Jade

Jade Supporting Member

well a little water to soak in works wonders all of that stuff on the bottom of his shell came off it was dryed on food and poop, i couldnt believe it even up close i thought that was part of his shell
    im also happy to report his hinge is working after he soaked in his bowl , it doesnt close all the way but its much better than it not moving at all

5. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I also give my torts and turts slices of yam, they like it and it haslots of vitamins. It's going to take a while to help hime recover Jade, but we all know you can do it.

6. Jade

Jade Supporting Member

71 grams and 2 and 3/4 inches long i'll try to remember to post an update on him everyonce in a while, how large a cage should he be in? right now he's in a ten gallon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.