This Disappears When Logged In

Time to Replace My UVB Lamps - Who's the Best These Days?

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by Moshpitrockchick, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I haven't seen any conclusive evidence that supports such a conclusion (i.e. blood tests), but Frances may have a valid point in regards to UVB peaks and rather deep valleys within the 295-335nm range, and I most certainly wouldn't be the one to argue it. While there is an obvious spike around 312-313nm, there is virtually no measurable UVB within the 315-330nm range and very little afterwards. Now, if the MVB were placed at a closer distance it would certainly boost UVB levels, but I'm uncertain as to what type of affect it would have on the UVI number or the UVI to UVB ratio (Frances stated that the irradiances were not to scale/taken at the same distance.).

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Hmm. Well alright then looks like I will see about switching everything over to Arcadia and zoo med bulbs.

3. Susanfelts

Susanfelts Member

I really need some lighting advice. I learned from joining Herp Center... a few weeks ago, that I needed UVB lighting. After a lot of reading I found Reptile UV and read as much as I could from the site and have tried to order from them. After about two weeks, I heard from the owner's wife that she was helping him, because he was sick, but she will not respond to a simple question...that being,"Did you receive my order, and can you give me a ball park date when it might be shipped" I purchased a compact fluorescent, frddom a local pet store to use until I could get some definitive advice, but now I'm too confused to know what I need. Repticon is in Nashville this weekend; should I talk with someone there? Any advice is appreciated.

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

What reptile do you have? And what size cage are they in?

The compact flourescent bulbs aren't very good at all. You need the long tube UVB bulbs and if you go to Light Your Reptiles they are really good about emailing and customer service.

5. RomanLA

RomanLA Elite Member

Another vote for Arcadia and LightYourReptiles! I'm running a 36" quad with two D3+ (12%) and two 6.5k grow bulbs for extra light. It also has a blue moon LED which is cool! :)

IMG_1876.jpg

IMG_1873.jpg

IMG_1872.jpg