This Disappears When Logged In

Time for a new encloser

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by 311Style, Oct 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 311Style

311Style Elite Member

Well Im very proud to say that Sierra is growing like a weed. Shes about 7 inches long and looking great with her little pot belly :D !

Her current tank is 24 x 12 x 12 (LxWxH) -- I was looking for another glass aquarium with the dimesions of 48x18x21 , aka a 75 gallon tank. Do you guys agree that this encloser could keep 2 or 3 adult beardies? This of corse would come with time. I was thinking 2 tops but maybe 2 females 1 male and start breeding over the next 3 years time. But thats the future I am just worried about now :).

Im not sure if the board members know much about pet supply companies Royal Central etc. But since I work at a petstore Iv Realized that now is the time to buy getting 70% off of the tank then an additional 25% lets just say, My wallet is very happy :p .

The only real problem iv noticed with such a large tank is the height of it! 21 inches is a lot of air space. Since she needs to be within 12'' of the UVB/A light should I maybe switch to another bulb? powersun etc. I think its going to look quite weird if I buy one of those combo hoods because I use CHEs and the hoods aren't meant to hold such hot bulbs. That id have a normal strip then 1 or 2 domes. Any suggestions in the lighting department would be wonderful.

Then finally I keep her on sand I know I am probally going to be yelled at for this but she was brought up on it and it looks great I have to say lol. *I remove her for feeding most of the time* Should I keep using washed/sifted play sand or switch the 48inch space to paper?

More questions to come lol Thanks in advance :)! - Ryan & Sierra

2. MoLdYpOtAtOe

MoLdYpOtAtOe Elite Member

If you plan on breeding beardies be aware that it can very easily cost you over one thousand dollars for all of the babies. As well as tanks, supplies, incubator/s, vet check ups, ect..

3. 311Style

311Style Elite Member

Im very aware of that... I currently have 3000 saved up for the project and since It will be within a couple of years I will also have my senior graduation money to add to it :)

4. venus

venus Founding Member

Hey Ryan, no one is going to yell at you for using sand. Everyone has their own opinions on sand, so use it, myself being one of those, and some dont. I do keep my babies on paper towel and juvies on up on washed playsand. Yes you could keep 3 beardies in a 75 gallon. There are some very creative people on this forum that can assist you with the lightening question. :D

5. MoLdYpOtAtOe

Exactly. You can use uvb/a strips that connect to your tank sides, you can have a mesh cover connected to the tank for the uv strip light above, a lowered lamp and bulb(not close enough that the beardie can touch of coarse), a clamp lamp clamped to some thing that can hold it to the position you want and close to the beardy you want. For example, A rock wall connected to the sides of a glass or whatever. You could clamp it to that.

6. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

For lizards the size of beardies and up I'd go with a mercury vapor light. Pricey compared to the fluorescents, but it will be cheaper in the long run and save you an extra outlet ;)

7. 311Style

311Style Elite Member

Ahh I thank you guys for the replies,

Potatoe - Thanks for the Ideas im going to look into that. As soon as my tank comes in probally within the next 2 weeks im going to sit down and brainstorm some ideas. If only reptiles could talk! then Sierra could choose what she wanted :p :p ok ill stop rambling now :p

furry - Im going to talk to my boss and his wife and see what they recommend they had and I believe still have an old old old Iguana in their family if not still with them I believe.

8. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Hey, firstly, pictures?!?!??? :D

Regarding the tank size, I don't think that a tank 48" x18" x 21" is big enough for three adults,. at the smallest I would recommend 48" x 24" x 24", but bigger is better.

Sand is fine - as Venus said, different people have different opinions about different substrates, but we have used sand with no problems so far. If you are using sand it is often recommended that it is more dangerous with young beardies and lizards than older, bigger ones, so if it is safer with adults.

For the UV light - why not try the new megaray bulb? (http://www.reptileuv.com), you may need to add height to your 21" as, opposite to current uv bulbs, your dragon should not get within 12" of it, and at the least needs to be 12" away from it! They are fantastic! If not you could go for something like a powersun, or if you want to stick to the uv bulbs and tubes you've been using so far why not mount them lower in the tank. For our trio of adults we have a tank that is 2.5' high, but we mounted their old uv tube under a shelf/branch which was about 8-10" off the ground.

Where have you got that price from?? It costs a lot to rear babies yes, and it is something that needs to be thought about carefully before you plan to breed, but it doesn't need to cost $1000 :confused: And the cost is not always the most important thing - there are plenty of things to think about before you breed,. afterall breeding is a little different to just owning and keeping as a pet - if you need any advice 311 you know where to come! But breeding can also be very rewarding and fun.

Thanks for asking your questions before making your decisions - it's great that you are finding everything out before you go ahead and do something. So many people act before they think, and others are too afraid to ask the things they need to know,. :)

9. 311Style

311Style Elite Member

Ahh Yes yes yes... The breeding thing is VERY far off trust me! As far as those bulbs go I took a look at them and then I remembered that I acually do have a powersun from when I thought I was going to build a cage. Ill see how that lights everything before I go into any more lighting.

I dont acually think I will be breeding, maybe 2 females to keep eachother company.

Ill Keep an eye out for a tank thats 48x24x24 I havent seen one yet in the pet trade but if I do find it ill probally buy it :)!

Ill keep you updated. - Ryan

10. Bitis Gabonica

Maybe you should consider building your own or have someone build it for you? It's much cheaper and you can make it just how you want it.. just a thought :confused: :)

11. 311Style

311Style Elite Member

Eh I was looking at some places and was thinking about it but I dunno the discount that I get from work is awesome I wanna take advantage of it

12. MoLdYpOtAtOe

Ok, maybey a little off. But About how much would crickets, small tanks, lights, cage accessories, and vet checks cost? I never said that it was not fun and rewarding. Just costs alot.

13. Bitis Gabonica

[QUOTE-311Style]Eh I was looking at some places and was thinking about it but I dunno the discount that I get from work is awesome I wanna take advantage of it[/QUOTE]
    Oh ok then!! I think I would too :p Make sure you post pics when you get it!!! I can't wait to see her in her new home :)

Moldy, although I understand your point - that the cost of hatching and rearing babies can be expensive - it hasn't reached that expense when we have bred our dragons, unless you add every breeding and rearing together. You should not expect to make a profit when breeding beardies, or any animal in fact, because you don't really make anything, if you account for the food costs, set up costs and electricity costs, especially when you add on the costs that you have spent on the rest of your collection to get to breeding point. But unless you are feeding a clutch of 10-30 baby dragons hundreds of crickets per day then you are not going to put yourself so much out of pocket. Expense is an important factor, but 311 is no where near breeding Sierra yet, just putting her in her new home. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.