This Disappears When Logged In

Tile Substrate Questions

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by TheReptilian, Feb 19, 2013.

1. TheReptilian

TheReptilian Member

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

3. brooksy

brooksy Elite Member

A couple options. Get 3: 12x12 tiles and have the third one cut in half (which is fabulous if you have 2 tanks as you can used the other half there) or you could buy 10 of the 6x6 size and no cutting is required. This is what I will try next time.

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Or 2 12x12 tiles and 1 6x12 tile!

Or 2 12x12 tiles and 2 3x12 tiles if you want a symmetrical look.

5. bawlnchayn

bawlnchayn Member

We just finished our ceramic tile flooring for our dragon, and here's a piece of advice, and kind of a "durrrrr" moment for me: Measure the INSIDE of the tank - the 36" x 36" (for example) is going to be less as they sell measure it from outside. Haha, took a couple trips to Home Depot's clearance section to get just the right amount of tiles for ours... and another trip tomorrow for the small 1" finishing piece I need. ;)
    Ceramic retains heat fairly well, too. I would recommend a majority of the tiles be ceramic. JMO, of course. I used smaller 4" slate pieces on the surround, to give it a nice natural feel.

6. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

I bought a cheap tile splitter for cutting them quickly and easily to a perfect size. You just have to file the edge down a little afterwards.