This Disappears When Logged In

Tile Flooring

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by LuvMyLeo, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvMyLeo

LuvMyLeo Active Member

Hey,

I just recently got my leo off the sand and bought him some tile for the flooring. The tile has no glaze on it, and is a more natural clay-like tile. The ceramic light is 100 watts, and I was wondering if there was a danger of the tile over-heating like a heat rock and harming the gecko.

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

It shouldn't as long as the ceramic heat emitter isn't too close. The problem with the heat rocks is that it will short out and one side will stop working while all the heat goes to the other side. A good idea would be to put your heat emitter on a thermostat set to the appropriate ambient temp. As long as the ambient temp isn't too high the surface temp at the bottom of the tank should be fine seeing as how heat goes up...

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The only way to know for sure is to put the probe from your thermometer on the spot directly under the heater or use a temp gun and measure it.
    Hot rocks generate heat themselves while the tile will only absorb the heat from the unit.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Tiles I have never tried. I know that slate I've used for Uros gets extremely hot. One temp reading I got off it was over 200:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.