This Disappears When Logged In

Tick Removal Question

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by purplemuffin, Feb 27, 2010.

1. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Having outdoor cats means removing a lot of ticks! A while back we purchased this 'tick twister' [​IMG] [​IMG] which was AMAZING! They came out much faster and cleaner than with tweezers, we've actually never had a tick head get stuck in an animal since we've begun using this.

Now, it says nothing on here about reptiles(though it says nothing about using it on people either and I've seen people use it on themselves) but a vet near us actually suggested it to someone who has a snake with sensitive skin that was easily affected by the reptile tick removal stuff.

It's basically the same method as just tweezers: grab and pull/twist gently(Although actually this tends to work better without the twist despite it's name)

But still, wanted to make sure if it actually was ok or not. Does this make sense as something that would be safe to use? Maru had a few ticks when we got her, and we just used the tweezers and found it annoyingly difficult(One did manage to break off but healed alright now) something like this would make life so much easier if any new animals ever came with ticks, but if this is a dumb idea I'm ok with that :D

Just curious!

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I have always just gone with the neosporin method. Basically, put neo or some other petroleum based substance on the tick. It can't breath through it and then backs out on it's own.

3. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

We tried that earlier, but they seem to be..dumb. They just ended up suffocating inside of her!

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If it works it`s o.k!

5. Midori

Midori Elite Member

That looks like something me and my mom could use for my horses, they get tones of ticks if we forget to spray them. I'll have to keep my eyes open for one of them.