This Disappears When Logged In

Three Striped mud turtle returns after 6 mo.

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Ssativa, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ssativa

Ssativa Subscribed User Premium Member

:) Guess what I got for valentines day at my doorstep? My long lost three striped mud turtle! Shortly before hurricane Ivan, I believe it was, I went through the pond to bring my turtles inside. Well, I guess animals can sense natural disasters because all of my turtles were nowhere to be found. Among the missing were my three striped mud turtle, my first turtle, a mississippi map turtle, a yellow bellied, a red bellied, and a painted turtle. They were all gone. Since, the pond has been breeding goldfish and minnows like crazy with nothing in there to eat them. Tonight, I go to put my dog outside, I glance down, and I see my turtle! He appears to be in good condition: eyes are bright, no sign of injury with any of the limbs, he does, however feel and look a bit underweight. He used to be the fattest turtle. I wonder where he went for so long. and how did he find his way back? Anyways, I'm happy to have him back.

2. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Thats great news! Especially with all the turtle predators in Florida. He probably just found a nice spot, dug a nice hole, and rode not only the storm but the whole winter out. Its amazing he found his way home, I can't even do that sometimes :)

3. Ssativa

Ssativa Subscribed User Premium Member

Amazing it is!

Considering I have two big dogs that even though they don't have access to the pond area could have easily killed him on his long mission across our back porch where the dogs roam. Also, I searched all around the pond for burrows and such several times since the hurricane but found nothing. I did have a florida softshell, the size of a large pizza, take temporary residence in our pond, so there must be ways in and out. I hope I'm able to figure all this out and make the area more secure before introducing him back to the pond. I have to think of something quick because IM GOING TO AMSTERDAM!!! On Feb. 17'th-Feb 27. Yay.

4. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

You might just want to keep them inside until the end of the winter. Plus if your in Amsterdam the last thing you will want to do is worry about your turtles. Have fun while your there! Wish I could come with, any extra space? :)

5. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

That's awesome! I wish I could be so lucky. A kid once took one of my turtles out of his pond and let him go and I never saw him again. He was from Asia too, so he's dead by now in ND :( That's amazing that you'rs returned!

6. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Wow

That is great news and really amazing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.