This Disappears When Logged In

Thoughts on My Setup?

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by EriksExotics, Aug 23, 2013.

1. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

So this is where I keep my Boas, and my Python. It's a bit messy, though.
    Heating: Thermostat > Power strip > Three UTH's.
    Ventilation: 24 - ⅞ inch air holes on each tub
    People keep asking about ventilation and heating + controlling so I thought I'd clear that up really quick. What do you think?
    Also: I've noticed that there are a lot of people here, but it's always dead. Wish there were more active members here.

Attached Files:

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

There are plenty of active members here, maybe they are out doing stuff instead of being on the comp 24-7. If you are looking for an instant reply maybe one of the other massive sites would be better for you. More people on them 24-7.

You don't mention temps, sizes, or what snakes (lots of boa's and pythons out there) you have. So not much can be said about your system.

3. EriksExotics

Ambient: 82°, and falls to 78° at about midnight.
    Hotspot is 89-92. My thermo has a 5° fluctuation range, so it's never right in one place. I am not sure if you're asking snake size, or dems but the tubs are all 60 qt, 23" x 16" x 13", Boas are from a May, 2013 clutch and a June, 2013 clutch so they are pretty small. Maybe 1½', and weigh around three ounces (which I think translates to 80g), each. Ball Python has almost hit 300g, and he's 2'-2 ½' long. I know my temps, tub sizes, etc are just about perfect, I just wanted to know if you see any flaws within the physical setup. I dislike the fact that I don't have a rack. I hate taking the lids off all the time. Counterproductive, IMO. Also, I didn't mean for you to take offense at me saying that this sites not too lively. I was just saying that I've been on forums with 5-10 people on and have had more conversation. This site has usually had about 20-40 while I've been on. Also.. This site claims to be a 'massive site' at registration.
    Plus there's an android app
    Plus I work 40-60 hours a week. I am very outgoing and I like talking to new people. That's one of the reasons I brought it up.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

This site is active, maybe it's your attitude ;) or maybe we have lives outside of the internet. I, for one have a toddler I'm chasing around all day as well as a farm full of animals I'm responsible for keeping alive and healthy.
    Have you checked out the Herp habitats section?

5. EriksExotics

That doesnt really explain why all the threads on this site die out quickly. I don't really mind it being slow. Also, what attitude would that be? 0.0 I haven't meant to be rude or anything! It's a little harder to put things in the right context over the internet, so I'm sorry if I've came off rude or something. And I work 40 hours a week (min), with Three Pit Bulls, Four snakes, and one cat. (Lizards are one my "to own next" list!). I own a mini zoo. Lol

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

When threads "die out quickly", its usually because the original question has been answered.
    There would be no reason to repeat the same things over and over.
    While there is a good bit of friendly chatting from time to time but that is not the focus of this site.

And your initial posts did come off a bit combative.

7. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Hey Erik,

I think your set-up will be better if you can find a way to utilize all of the height you have provided in those tubs. Also, the floor space is not suitable for those snakes once they grow a bit, so you are going to need an expansion back-up plan.

8. EriksExotics

my original plan was to build some sort of upper level and several perches for each of them. I just don't have the material yet. And I know. I have some bigger tubs ready for them. I have 34" x 25" x 13" tubs ready for when they out grow these ones. And I have ordered two 6' x 3' x 1' Christmas tree storage tubs for when they get real big. And if they grow out of those, I have a friend who builds cages. So I'm good enclosure-wise.