This Disappears When Logged In

Thoughts on Aspen-based Substrate for a Leopard Gecko?

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by Nova5491, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Nova5491

Nova5491 Member

I'm looking into different types of substrates for my gecko to use and I was wondering about what you think of aspen? I've read some places that it can cause impaction but other places say that it is soft and can pass through the digestive system with ease. I have a calcium dish and worm dish for her so (besides crickets every now and then) there isn't much reason for her to digest it. What do you think? I've heard of all the possible substrates and would prefer your opinion on aspen over a recommendation of a different substrate. Gracias! :)

2. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

It's not a hunger issue that sometimes substrate is digested. They can be full and still end up with a mouthful of the stuff. Leopard geckos are extremely curious and usually lick everything. So there is issue #1. I normally go with better safe then sorry.

3. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

Their is still a bit of speculation that the aspen shavings are toxic.

4. riderx4life

riderx4life Well-Known Member

why not paper towels? tile is cheap also.

5. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

Why would you want to risk it? If you've read about different ones and presumably know that leopard geckos don't live on anything similar in the wild, why are you considering it a viable option?

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Aspen shavings are not toxic. But they also are not applicable for leopard geckos.

7. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I can see aspen shavings making their way through a large snake with no problem but not a gecko. One piece would be enough to cause some major issues. I wouldn't even consider it for my leo.

8. brooksy

brooksy Elite Member

I recommend tiles. There are no cons to tiles other than cost, but it never needs to be replaced so the cost is lower long term.
    I only use aspen for my adult colubrids right now.