This Disappears When Logged In

This is Somewhat Confusing

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by MadDog, Oct 2, 2009.

1. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

How in the world do you keep all the tiny little crickets from drowning when the frogs enclosure is mostly aquatic. I have a big rock in the enclosure for the frogs to get on when they need to but the crickets seem to find their way right to the water. Either that or they stay way up on the dry part while the frogs on the waters edge look at them wondering when they are going to come closer. Does anyone have any suggestions? This is my first time with amphibians so I am doing the best I can. Just need a little help. Thanks One more question. How many small crickets should three one inch frogs be eating. They are pig frogs, also known as Southern Bullfrog, and I have read that they have quit a big appetite

2. Dragonscalestudios

Dragonscalestudios Elite Member

They big enough to eat guppies?

You could also set-up a feeder tank with just paper towels, feed them, then return them to their viv.

3. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Ha, why didn't I think about the whole feeding tank thing? Thanks for that idea. Um, does anyone know the answer to the second question or do I just need to buy a lot of crickets and see how many they eat? Once again, Im new to amphibians so I am just taking a stab in the dark with this one. I have the temps right and their setup right, I just need help with this. I couldn't find this answer through my research. Thanks for the help.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

They can have as much as they want to eat in 10 minutes if you use a feeding bin. Crickets are dumb, its like they are drawn to water.

5. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Yeah they are!! That doesn't make it very easy one me either!! Which of course animals aren't really suppose to easy, but rewarding. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself.

One more set of questions. Should the frogs have a uv or full septrum light or not. Some places I read say yeah, while others say no. And also, I should be offering food to them at least every other day right? Thanks

6. Cid

Cid Elite Member

Ive heard the same about the lighting. while crickets should be dusted every so often to provide extra nutrients,there is no clear recommendation on the lights for such benefits. I use a full spectrum for the enhanced looks and heat it emits. it really draws out the colours