This Disappears When Logged In

This Guy Said Boas Don't Have Teeth.

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by reptile_kid, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

A snake skull is pretty obvious too, and I'm sure many of us have picture to verify some of the injuries we have received from said beasties. I just got a new one myself last night. (though from a python, not a boa.)

And both pythons and boas (I'm pretty sure all snakes) use their teeth to pull prey into their mouth as they swallow. They have what's called a Kinetic skull, which can move and articulate in far more ways that ours can (as you guys have no doubt noticed if you have ever watched one eat!)

Thanks for the pic BlackJack!

2. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Well said Dragoness- I almost did not recognize you with the ball python pic instead of the WD.

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

That would be very boring David, to take a photo AFTER the event....... If you keep your camera around your neck throughout the days and nights, you will have a much better chance of getting the strike and hit shot! ( Even I can tell you that much!) (And I`m an idiot.) (And proud of it!) :D
    Monitors teeth are hidden in the gums, so it can look as if they only have very short teeth, but not so!! ;)

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Dragoness, yes, all snakes have recurved teeth, (pointing backwards) so the prey can`t escape, they "walk" the food item into their mouth, and they can dislocate the bottom jaw, also the two halves of the bottom jaw are joined by a ligament, so both sides articulate, the brain is covered with bone to protect it from damage when swallowing large prey.... The Varanids (monitors) have the same system... I have a skull of a monitor I used to own, it fits together like a jigsaw puzzle; the different parts are seperate, that's because they`re joined by ligaments, and not fused together as in most animals.. One day I may put a photo of it up...

5. David McConley

Well, you are obviously not as big an idiot as the guy who thinks boas don't have teeth. Yeah I probably should keep the camera around my neck 24/7 but I would still probably miss the opportunity as I do tend to get a little thick-headed at times. I do have photos of my snakes on my info page in the albums for anyone who wants to look.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

David, you have some beautiful animals! The Burmese looks very tame, and I love the mangrove snake, I`m sure you know these are back-fanged, but not dangerous to us..... I see the dogs have taken over the sofa, just like my ornatus! (It`s good of all the animals to let YOU live with them as well!) ;)
    You obviously know what you`re doing, and that`s great to see!
    Take care,
    Stefan

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

When I look at my snakes teeth, they never look big. Is that because, like monitors, snakes have gums that retract?

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Dragoness, the teeth will be hidden in the gums a little, you will see if you can very gently open the mouth, just at the side, it won`t cause too much stress...That`s if your snake`s tame and trusts you, of course! ( just gently pull the "lip" down slightly.)

9. bethany

bethany Elite Member

David-nice pics! Love all those creative names Caliente is my fave! My bf would like to "borrow" Angel, he's been dying to get a snake like that.

As for snakes with no teeth that's just ridiculous, or is it true and that's why they hiss, cause they are stuttering on a word? LOL sorry I too am ridiculous. :p

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`m amazed he taught the snakes to write their names like that, it`s wonderful David, just wonderful! :D

11. David McConley

Murrindindi- Thanks for the compliment, my animals are very much a large part of my life. The dogs do tend to take over the couch -I often remark that it is like Jonestown in the living room sometimes. The Burms are very tame as long as you remember that they are large predators and are capable of killing you if you are careless. The mangrove snake is by far one of my very favorites(1 of 17 favorites, LOL) and I found out very shortly after I got him that he was mildly venomous and rear-fanged. I got him last Father's day as a gift from my wife, and I was free handling him before I knew anything about him. I still free-handle him now by the way and he is ever so much the gentleman and has never once attempted to bite me.

Bethany- I really enjoy unusual names also and I am always on the look-out for more, of course when I find an unusual name...I have to get another snake to give it to. Angel and Buffy were both freebies that I got from the friend of my wife's family-along with Cleopatra,Spike,Drusilla,Isis and Ramses--He got tired of them and wanted to get rid of them-the two Burms were scheduled to either be released into his neighborhood or they were going to be killed, so I took them. I really think he was afraid of the Burms and didn't want to admit it.

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The mangrove is probably my favorite, and I'd like to have one, but the laws here make venomous reptile ownership all but impossible. I think they are pretty broad - they may not make allowances for those that are not lethal. And you are required to make your address public, and there have been incidents of newspapers publishing lists of addresses of people who own venomous snakes, and big flaps over that. (Read the article: Central Florida Herpetological Society)

13. David McConley

That is an great article and I couldn't agree more. I knew that you had to be licensed to keep hots but I did not know about the registering with the Fla. Fish and Wildlife, but that is good to know for future reference. I am in the process of deciding about relocating to Fla. in the future(it's much closer to my wife's school in Sarasota).

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

the laws recently changed to make hot ownership even harder - out herp keepers at work gave up their long-term collections because the upkeep of the permits alone got to be just too much. And these were animals they had had for 20+ years, and brought with them from England! I know it broke their hearts to do it, but when you pay outrageous amounts on each animal, and it has to be update yearly, a large collection can quickly bankrupt you.

15. GoffReptiles

GoffReptiles Well-Known Member

Snakes are venomous! Lol, you would have failed my reptile course in college.

Venoms are injected

Poisons are inhaled or ingested

16. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

WHAT?I didn't say snakes didn't have venom I can name several snakes with venom...from the cotton mouth to the rattle snake...I am 1000000000% right that snakes have venom

17. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I believe he is referring to this Agama:p
    And the correct phrasing would be "I know VENOMOUS snakes use their teeth to pull prey in":p:p;)

18. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

I thought he was referring to the fact he thought I was wrong

19. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

LOL not that I could tell. Looked to me like he was teasing you about your grammer:eek::rolleyes::p :p;)

20. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

is there really a difference between poisonous or venomous...besides that one difference...is there really a poisonous animal anyway[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.