This Disappears When Logged In

This guy got

Discussion in 'Herp Awareness' started by steel rip, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Not saying I agree with his choice but is there really a difference between feeding a puppy and feeding a rabbit? I mean both are kept as pets.

3. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Its all about morals, it something you just dont do, you cant buy F/T puppies now, but you can Rabbits..

4. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Notice he isn't in trouble for neglecting the boa...

5. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

...Its no diffrent than feeding a rabbit. lots of little kids keep rabbits as pets or pigs or goats. Its no diffrent really. Its sick to think about it at first but to really think about it. ITs no diffrent. Its no diffrent than feeding anoles to snakes that eat lizards.

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Good call Lacey. But suppose someone were to breed puppies for the purpose of feeding snakes. I have no doubt they would end up in jail because dogs have more rights than children do. But as someone who isn't a dog-lover how can someone determine that it's okay to feed rabbits but not puppies. I guess rabbits are in that "prey category" in the wild. But hey in some countries dogs are eaten the same way rabbits are in other countries. Sorry just thinking out loud on this one.

7. MoogleBass

A wild dog is in the prey family same with wild cats. mmm general chos cat...er chicken.,....lol

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It's all a matter of the distinctive culture you are raised in.
    Virtually everything that is kept as a pet in one part of the world is considered a food item in another.

However in this case it seems as if it was more about entertainment than anything else.

9. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Well we could feed them children..thanks for the idea.....Only Joking!!

10. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I'm glad the guy got the jail time, but not because he fed a dog to a snake. It's the way he did it. He didn't just do it to feed the snake, he went over the top and added cooking oil and got an audience. Plus, as the article mentioned, the snake had been neglected.

But had he been a responsible owner, and just been routinely feeding his snake, but substituted a puppy for a rabbit, I have no qualms with that. Sure it's weird. Sure it's socially unacceptable. But as others have mentioned, it's really no different than feeding it a rabbit. It's food. People look at it and say it's wrong, without having a legitimate reason to back up why it's wrong. It's like saying it's ok to eat a cow, but not a horse, simply because the general public likes horses more than they like cows. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs, but I'm sure some large snakes do too ;)

11. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I agree with both Matt and Merlin I think this was more for entertainment than for actual feeding! I however do not agree with feeding puppies to snakes, but then that is my opinion. As a mother I would have been absolutely furious if that was my kid. I also do not feed my snakes when other children are present as I feel it is the parents right to choose if that is something they want their kids to see. If I have the parents permission then I will.
    I feel the feeding of the puppy was really not neccassary as there are many many other food choices. I find that to be a little bit cruel and unusual, then again I dont feed live prey anyways unless I absolutely have to and I certainly dont grease them up, lol.

12. MoogleBass

I agree with Matt. Its no diffrent really. But he did it for entertainment, not for food.

13. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

I'm throwing in my vote with the others. Puppies are prey too. They breed some types of dogs in Asia specifically for food - just like we do with cows and chickens. Food for humans. I don't think it was wrong for him to feed his snake a dog. What makes dogs better than any other animal? It's rediculous how upset people get because something is "cute and furry".

On the other hand, neglecting your snake, then feeding it to show off for a couple of teenagers is wrong. He should get time for that, but not just because the food was a dog.

14. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

No animal is better than another. It doesn't matter that he fed a puppy to the snake, nor so much as why he did it. Granted I don't agree with people who use there animals for show or feed puppys. But, This man IS being jailed for feeding a dog to a snake, how is this wrong when feeding mice isn't. Popular opinon has taken place over rational thought. He should be jailed for neglecting the boa, but I can't see how the puppy plea can hold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.