This Disappears When Logged In

This Guy Can Lose a Tortoise...A TORTOISE!

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Anthony14, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

I let him outside to graze and I ran inside to get something, the phone rang and I answered got distracted and started doing things around the house, then it dawned on me "I AM A BLEEPING IDIOT". An hour and a half of crawling around the backyard and standing on fences looking into neighbors yards later and no luck. It's now gotten dark and I had his heat lamp hooked up to an extension cord still searching franticly but now it's started raining...

He must have been outside no longer than twenty minutes but somehow he's found a way to elude me and for the life of me I can't find him.

I feel like an idiot right now and i'm upset about the situation...hopefully I can find him in the morning. :(

2. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

Put a plate of his favorite food outside to see if that attracts him, also look for possible hide spots such as under leaves, etc

3. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Good luck finding him. Positive thoughts are headed your way.

4. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

Trust me I looked under everything, I covered every inch of the yard on all four's.

It's dark out now and Greek Tortoises aren't nocturnal so I'll put out a ton of iceberg lettuce in the morning, nothing is more appealing to a tortoise than that stuff.

Edit: Thanks David.

5. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

LOL mine will not touch Iceberg

6. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

First time I have heard that! 0_o

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

How big is he? Get down on all fours and think like a tortoise! Best of luck finding him!

8. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

I'd say a bit smaller than an average computer mouse...that's why im so shocked I can't find him. My grass is on the long side but I combed through every possible spot! :(

...and because of convenient timing I have to wait until morning to continue my search.

9. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Thats small! Best of luck Hopefully he will be just hiding somewhere nice and cosy! Maybe the sun will come out tomorrow and he'll just be basking in the backyard!

10. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

Not to me! XD

Maybe he's closer to being the same size as a computer mouse, can't tell but when I got him he was pretty much the size of toonie or gatorade bottle cap.

11. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

I'm sorry that he 'ran' off on you. I hope you find him soon! Praying for him to be safe til you find him.

12. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

Thanks, it's really appreciated.

He must have been angry or on a serious hunt for new grazing grounds cause he never really moves much when I let him out, he sits and eats for a long time. I couldn't find him in anywhere in my yard or spot him in any neighbours while standing on the fence. >.>

I should be sad but im more angry because it was so stupid and if I don't find him he's going to suffer because of me.

13. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

If need be, you could set up his basking light outside early in the morning (shortly before sun rise) and see if it attracts him. Also, a plate of food and some water may help.

14. DierdreDreamwalker626

DierdreDreamwalker626 Elite Member

Don't feel bad. My husband lost our tegu taking him outside. He was basking on the rail and someone walked up and that thing was gone. Looked everywhere and haven't seen him since.

15. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

Atleast im not the only one...but Tegu's are pretty quick...I lost a tortoise. >.<

16. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

People always think a tort is always slow. They can be very fast when they want to be, esp. scared. I am sorry you had to learn this the hard way. :(
    I would look at any dark areas, that's where they feel safe. I hope a predator doesn't get it. I am so sorry. I have to be esp. careful myself now cause there are bald eagles here in my area now. I see them hunting almost daily now.
    Just keep looking, and hopefully it will show up. Keep us posted.
    **hugs** Don't beat yourself up too badly now.

17. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

So sorry, hope you find the little guy!

18. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

Well I stayed up all night and at the crack of dawn I searched far and wide for the little guy but to no avail...

But here's where it gets good. After yet another failed search I went inside, showered, made breakfast and then did my usual computer shenanigans. About 11am now and I went outside just as a last effort and he was in the EXACT spot I left him yesterday muching on clovers.

I don't know if it was coincidence or the little guy actually knew his way back but I am really relieved and quite bewildered at what has occured.

19. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

Tortoises have an amazing honing ability, probably knew that was his spot so he went back to it

20. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Congrats on finding him!
    When I volunteered for a "rescue" the owner lost a 60 lb sulcata in her field
    which has never been found!