This Disappears When Logged In

Thinking of Building an Enclosure for a Chinese Water Dragon...awkward Size

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Travisr, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Travisr

Travisr New Member

I've been contemplating this for a while now, as I really want one of these animals but I'm trying to create the best possible environment for it.

My idea was to build a large enclosure that could fit nicely into the corner of my living room, near a window and right next to my wall heater (not that I was planning on using that to heat the enclosure)

I would like to built a pentagon, almost triangular shape though. I came up with measurements of 38x38" for the two sides that would be parallel with the walls of my room. The two short sides, which would do a 90 degree angle off the wall, would be approximately 4" each. Then the longest side which would connect the two 4" sides, would be approximately 46" or so long.

A 100 gallon tank is about 1080 inches of flat surface space. My enclosure would be about 1118 inches of flat surface space. I was thinking of going about 54" high with it.

Does that seem like a good shape to go with?

As for materials, I was gong to use some kind of MDO panel, or even PVC based synboard (I have access to tons of this stuff where I work). This would make up the two 38"x54" sides that would be against the walls of my room. The other sides, I was going to do with plexiglass. I was planning on having sections that could slide open covered by screens or an area of access at the bottom to get the dragon out/feed, etc.

I know it's kind of a lot, but I'd really appreciate some input...that's kind of what I had in my head and I did a drawing of it. I think it could work...but just want some thoughts on what I could change, etc?

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Re: Thinking of Building an Enclosure for a Chinese Water Dragon...awkward

Tais first adult cage was this shape only with odder dimensions! here's the building thread I did on it: http://www.herpcenter.com/general-construction/44252-chinese-water-dragon-corner-vive.html

My only suggestion at the moment is to really think about how you are going to do the water area before you settle on this shape for the cage. Also take into consideration how you would clean the water area.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

However at 4 inch long walls you are going to have a large area of the cage in the 2 corners that is virtually unusable. Draw out your floor plan to scale and you will see what I mean

4. Travisr

Travisr New Member

That's kind of what I was envisioning, sort of. The water area, I was going to make almost a 'drawer' type thing under the cage, which I could slide out and remove the water area. I was thinking of making out of the PVC material, it's like 5/8" thick and then using silicone to seal it, or even soldering it. I was going to fit that so it would slide nicely into about 1/2 of the bottom of the enclosure. This is all just kind of in my head, I haven't really made any real drawings yet.

I am kind of contemplating making the two flat sides longer...4" was kind of just my concept idea. I could certainly make that elongated and then make the "front" side shorter, still would be the same total amount of space, but like you said, would make more of the enclosure have more usable space.

Thanks for the replies guys...the pictures of the one guys build was really nice to look at and see how he did it.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Also its going to look kinda funny...Maybe look at making the 3 front walls all the same length? My suggestion would be to clear out the corner you want to putt he cage in then take a bunch or rop and cut them to the length the walls would be and then place them down. This will give you an idea of what size it would be and how it will fit in the corner. You can then take other ropes and adjust the length of the walls until you get a shape that works for your room. This would work with wooden dowels as well.