This Disappears When Logged In

Thinking of Adopting Out My 4 Firebellied Toads Plus Tank

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by schlegelbagel, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Thanks, Steve -- and I just got some information on how to sex the roaches at their earlier stages (I'll post it in the feeder section later).

And guess what Liz, I received a 10% coupon in the mail for Petco today! I'm thinking that is just WAY to coincidental, don't ya think??

They also have another tank stand (at least online) that doesn't have a shelf, but the bottom is framed so I could do the same thing. But would they be ok if they were all but sitting on the floor? The tank would be visible yet out of the main traffic area, just lower than the stand I showed you.

And it's possible I would have somewhere else to move them once the addition was finished. (John is still not saying no -- that's a good sign)

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Of course the tank could sit on the floor. Probably the most sturdy place for it around. As long as your dogs don't take interest in them...

3. Frognut

<grimace>As long as they don't lift their lid and hop out we'd be ok!

The cats would watch them for a little while, just like every other caged critter I have brought in -- the mice, the gecko's and the frogs. None were on the floor - but the mice and Geckos were readily accessible for their viewing pleasure.

They sat and watched for a day or two, then realized that they weren't going to materialize through the glass they go on to being lazy cats.

I'm picking up the tank stand tomorrow, I'll get things set up - work out a solid bottom for another tank and double check. I looked at it at the store today - there will be be more than enough room since it is not a shelf. And this stand is much sturdier than the one I showed you.

Being low to the ground, it will be easier to do water changes for me anyway. And I read the caresheet, and they seem to be pretty tolerant of changes in temp and such -- not quite as picky as other critters.

Besides regular water changes and filter changes, is there anything special I need to worry about or keep in mind with taking care of them?

4. schlegelbagel

The water is the biggest issue. I'll work on converting the tank to a pull out tub for you this weekend. It needs cleaning anyway. I'm going to replace the rock filter (its seen better days) with a free standing filter. I just bought a box of filters so you will be good for a while. Because of less water, it may need changing every 3 weeks instead of 4, but that's minor.

Other than that, not too much else. I usually scoop out the top layer of substrate every few months and replace with some fresh coco-husk. I trim back the plants regularly.

The hood has 2 sockets, one for night and one day bulb, but I only use them in the winter, when my house stays at 65, which is a bit chilly for them. Right now I have no extra heat, just the strip light on a timer.

They take small to medium sized food, every 3 days. The female is full of eggs right now, but as long as we don't introduce cool water to the tank, she'll just reabsorb them shortly.

5. Frognut

Ok, so I just make sure when I change the water I keep it above what temperature?.... no babies for me!!:eek:

I picked up my tank stand today - it's still in the box. But looking at it at the store, it should work fine. It will be put together tomorrow and I'll figure out the bottom support and measure to make sure.

I read the care sheet, asked questions -- played the video of them barking about 100 times, and hubby has only rolled his eyes once. I asked if he can sleep with that (we are on the same floor) and he said, "no problem, I'll be fine". Coming from someone who doesn't sleep well - I'm thinking there was some sarcasm in that comment!

I'm getting excited! I was picking up the stand and the woman in front of me got two fbt's for her son - and I was actually able to answer her questions. I think the Petco worker was miffed that I jumped in first...

6. schlegelbagel

And $10 says the petco worker would have gotten the info WRONG anyway. :rolleyes:

I still have to do the bin conversion. I was thinking it would be sad to not see the sides of the tank underwater, but then I realized it would be on the floor and you would'nt see in anyway. You will see down into it, not from the side.

Water should be room temp or just slightly warmer. Might want to let it sit in a bucket for a few hours before adding.

I told Todd last night that you were going to adopt them, and he got all sad! Then I told him I haven't been giving the best care and I'm getting overwhelmed and he was still sad. So I said "well, do YOU want to do all their care, water changes and cleaning?" The answer was "I hope Steph enjoys them!"

:D

7. Frognut

Tell Todd, I'll let you guys baby sit when I go on vacation and he can enjoy them... kind of like grandparents! :)

And I was thinking the same about the on the floor thing. But I think I have a place figured out to move them when the addition gets finished.

Or actually, I'll probably move the grays into the dining room area (closer to the new bed room) and then have a high spot in my living room for the fire belly's. When the stand gets set up, they will be more behind the chair than I would like -- but they can settle in better there.

Then I'll move them to a more showy place and in case my cats don't get tired of them (because they are on eye level) they will have total peace in a few months.

I'm getting excited!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.