This Disappears When Logged In

Thinking of Adopting Out My 4 Firebellied Toads Plus Tank

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by schlegelbagel, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'm getting a little overwhelmed these days and I'm trying to pare down. I'm the least attached to my toads, and I won't lie, they are the most amount of work. Its a monthly water change, totally drained, and replacing and cleaning filters, pump, fake plants and other items in the water. They also eat small/medium crickets, which none of my other frogs eat.

The land part is pretty self sustaining, with live plants.

They are fun to listen to. It's 3 males and one female and the males call daily. I have gotten babies from them, but I can set you up with the precautions so it doesn't happen again.

Speaking of babies, I also have 17 babies if anyone wants to start their own setup. Right now the babies are on fruit flies, but should be moving up to pinheads, then small crickets by late July.

Mostly I want them to be well taken care of. If I KNOW they are going to a good home, I would just give them up, tank and all.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

2. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

That really is a great deal, if I thought I had the talent for raising them, I would take you up on that. I would even come up to get them, but I think for the time being, I will stick to my snakes. It is awesome of you to give them up to the RIGHT person though, I applaud you.

I forgot to add, that is how you can tell someone really cares for the well being of the pet and not in it for the money.

3. schlegelbagel

I'd consider driving them down half way if that sweetens the deal ;)

4. David McConley

That truly is a sweet deal, but I think I enjoy sleeping in MY house, not the dog house. In short, my wife would kill me. Perhaps there will be room in the McConley household in the future, but sadly, not right now. Thanks anyway.

5. Dragonscalestudios

Dragonscalestudios Elite Member

If I was closer to you I would take you up on it. I was actually getting ready to reply to someone on Craigslist who is givng up their FBTs with the set-up, also free. I love these little guys, used to have a few, years ago, they all lived long happy lives :)

6. cdiaz

cdiaz Member

I live in Fredrick, had firebellies in the past. If you are willing to drive half way I will take them. Rest assured they will have a good home.

7. schlegelbagel

Keep posting on the forum and I'll see if I like you. ;)

8. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I asked Brett what he thought and he just shook his head. Wouldn't even look at me, so I guess that's a no...

I also have NO where near by to get crickets from... (yes I know I can mail order, but just not into that right now...)

9. schlegelbagel

mail ordering is pointless unless you want 500 or more at a time. These guys eat like 2-3 each feeding a piece.

10. David McConley

Liz, I brought the subject up to my wife-just on the off chance she would agree- and she looked at me as if I had lost my mind. Sorry, I tried.

11. schlegelbagel

hahaha. That's OK. I'm in no huge hurry on this, I'm just tossing out some feelers.

I think I have realized I'm over my max for tanks I should own. I currently have 7 and I think I want to get back to the time where I only had 5. The baby toads will go to a seller at the august reptile show for either some money or feeders. That's the easy one.

12. David McConley

Cool, good luck. I hope it works out for you.

13. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

Good luck Liz! You know how bad I want those toads, but I can't have anything that doesn't live underwater. Grrrr.

14. schlegelbagel

they "kind of" live "in" water ;)

15. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Would they eat roaches? or would I be stuck with crickets?? (that's the million dollar question) And what size tank are they in???

I'm just speculating, pondering, thinking about.... there will be a shelf on the bottom of the 55 gal stand once I finish the Geckos tank. I'm just not sure how big it is. And that might take hubby a few days to find them. And hey -- they are not snakes! ;)

I'll even share my roaches with you once the colony grows some -- of course I will do that anyway if you want the bigger ones. No point in keeping ALL those big ones only to have them eat and die because they are too big to feed my guys.

I'd also need the skinny on the water, filter change part...

16. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

No Steph, you want those big females to have babies for the next year or so THEN they can die ;)

17. schlegelbagel

I'm sure the toads would eat the roaches. They just have to be on the smaller size.

The water change is a PITA. We have a siphon that connects to the kitchen sink which sucks all the water out, because I'm too lazy to get a regular siphon going for 3 gallons of water. I have considered turning that water area into a bin with water so I can just pull it out, clean and replace. Probably an easier solution, and if that would get you to take them (hint hint) I would even do the conversion for you. Wouldn't take me more than an afternoon.

The filter is a rock like looking thing. All you have to do is once a month, scrub the outside with a bristle brush, rinse and replace the two filters. It's just a pair of filters from the fish section. Super easy. I also scrub down the little turtle ramp I have in the water at the same time, and wipe down the walls of the water area with a paper towel.

If I switched it to the water tub, then the whole thing could just go into the sink for easy cleaning. I think I might have just talked myself into that LOL.

Oh, and as long as you don't drop in cold water when the female is full of eggs, you won't have babies. She'll just re-absorb the eggs.

*and Henry would LOVE the adult roaches ;)

18. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Water tub part sounds much easier -- I'm too far away from the kitchen sink to siphon. Unless of course you just talked yourself into converting so you can keep them....;)

How big is the tank???? The only place I have for a tank will be on the bottom shelf of the wrought iron 55 gal tank stand. The top is for the Geckos new home (when I finish it, but the bottom is open -- if it would fit.)

Otherwise, we would have to see what is available when the addition is done - and that is about 2 months at least!

And as soon as I figure out what/when I can steal some of the big roaches I'll be sending them your way.... gotta keep Henry happy:)

19. schlegelbagel

It's a standard 29 gallon with light strip up top. And even if I did the conversion, I wouldn't keep them LOL.

20. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

You can take out some of the adult males Steph. You only need a 1/3 male/female ratio to keep the colony thriving. Any more than that and they are just using resources that the others can use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.