This Disappears When Logged In

Thinking of a New Frog or Toad

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by savannahmon181, Jan 2, 2010.

1. savannahmon181

savannahmon181 Elite Member

I got my setup for a frog or toad its a exo terra cage i am interested in large frogs or toads im not new to the herp world have had many reptiles but never owned a frog or toad so let me know what you think is the best large frog or toad to start with!!! thank you!

2. oxamberxo

oxamberxo Member

Well it depends on what you like. Tree frogs are usually good beginner frogs. But since you aren't a beginner on herps, you could look into a Pixie or a PacMan. (Personally I have a pixie and I'd recommend that, so I am biased). Depending on what kind of exo terra you got though, treefrogs generally need taller enclosures to provide enough room for branches as they are climbers. Pixies and pacman do better with a longer tank as they are just burrowers. As for a personality treefrogs are usually pretty calm. Whereas pixies and pacman will try to overpower and eat your hand if they get the chance. Treefrogs can be kept together I believe depending on size and type which is good if you want more than one frog.

3. venus

venus Founding Member

What size is your cage? That will also depend on what frog should be recommended.

4. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

If you have a larger taller cage I love the large tree frogs like Whites. Smaller groups of darts or thumbnail frogs are also great for 5-10 gal tanks. Darts are great frogs if you can keep the temps lower in summer. It's nice that most are active thoughout the day and they reall are not as loud as other tree frogs.

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

It really depends on the dimensions of your tank. Please tell us in detail, since exoterras come in many sizes.