This Disappears When Logged In

Thinking About Getting Bp

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Rapid Lizard, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Rapid Lizard

Rapid Lizard Member

Hello! I am tossing around the idea of getting my first Ball Python. I've never kept snakes, but I have some experience with lizards. I probably wouldn't be able to get it for a few months, so I'm just doing research right now.

I have a 18"W, 18"D, 24"T Exo Terra tank, and was wondering if it would work for a ball python if I covered all but one of the sides with towels or something? Is there too much height and not enough floor space? Would it be big enough for an adult? I also have a 10 gallon tank I could keep it in until it gets large enough.

Also, what is the cheapest way to get frozen feeders for just one snake? Are the frozen mice at normal pet stores a good way to go?

Thanks in advance!

2. Rapid Lizard

Rapid Lizard Member

Okay, so I see that my tank won't be big enough for an adult. I am looking into plastic tubs, does anyone here use those?

3. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

I have never owned a ball python other than taking care of a few trying to find them homes, but a few of my friends keep them.
    They start them out in a 20 gallon long, with a heating pad and heat lamp hooked to a thermostat. But they eventually move them up to a much larger tank or a Rubbermaid container.
    The trouble with using a tank is it doesn't hold the heat and humidity very well, you can cover the screen top with aluminum foil, with just enough room for the heat lamp.
    From what I have seen ball pythons actually do better in Rubbermaid totes.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ok just a point. Glass tanks are fine to use. The issue has to do with the tops. People get screen tops and the heat and humidity goes right out the screen. A simple homemade wooden top fixes the issue.

5. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

Thanks for elaborating Merlin, that's why I like the HC, I have learned a lot searching this through this sight.

6. Rapid Lizard

Rapid Lizard Member

Thank you for the help! I'll probably end up doing a Rubbermaid.

7. Merlin

It always makes me a bit twitchy when people keep saying glass tanks, in and of themselves will not hold heat and humidity. Glass is water and air tight. The problem is the screen tops. If the windows of your house are closed, the house stays warm. Open the windows and wooosh!

Qwerty3159 likes this.
  8. Rapid Lizard

Rapid Lizard Member

Okay, that makes sense! Would my 18"W, 18"D, 24"T Exo Terra tank be any good for a juvenile ball python? Would the height of the tank be useless?

9. Merlin

Not really. They actually need more floor space than height. While hatchlings will climb a bit they are more terrestrial in nature.

10. Rapid Lizard

Rapid Lizard Member

Okay, thanks for the help!

11. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

A piece of foam board (from the dollar store if you're cheap like me, lol) peel off the paper on both sides, and cut to fit the inside of the tank rim. You can use that under the screen top to hold in humidity. Rubbermaid tubs are great for smaller snakes, but unless you have a rack I wouldn't trust even the locking lids to hold an adult ball python securely.
    You can also build one from plywood and seal it with polycrylic, or cough up the money and buy a suitable sized pvc enclosure.
    Regarding feeders, pet stores are the worst place to buy them. If you're lucky you may find someone local who raises feeder rodents. One snake won't break your wallet buying feeders from the pet store, but they are ridiculously overpriced IMO.

12. Rapid Lizard

Rapid Lizard Member

Would setting something with some weight on the lid of a Rubbermaid prevent escaping? If I had to, I could get a different kind of enclosure. Just how inexpensive Rubbermaids are is appealing, haha!

That's a good idea, I'll check Craigslist for feeder rodents! Thank you, I appreciate your help!

13. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

A snake that wants out of a plastic tub with a plastic lid, and can reach the top with at least half it's body length on the "floor" is most likely strong enough to squeeze out around an edge if it wants to badly enough regardless of some weights on the lid. You could secure the lid with nylon straps wrapped all the way around the tub, or sew some velcro on the ends of the straps and stick the velcro hook end pieces on the sides of the tub. Personally, I was into aquariums and fish for many years before I started switching over to snakes. I had a good number of tanks on hand to start with, and still use some smaller (20-40 gallon) though I have replaced most of the 75 and 90 gallon tanks with larger plywood or pvc enclosures. I have also found pegboard to be useful for making tank lids, though it isn't as simple to secure with straps as screen tops. I found something called tera tie downs on Amazon that work very well, the metal clips now being sold for screen tops are pretty much useless.
    As far as tanks go, PetCo or PetSmart do $1/gallon sales for up to 55 gallon tanks several times a year. Screen tops are much less expensive at reptile shows, so is cypress mulch for that matter. Great substrate for holding humidity, I use it for all my boas and pythons, as well as a few rat snakes (Everglades and green bush) that need higher humidity. I currently have 43 on Cypress mulch, just the bull and king snakes on aspen.

14. Merlin

th_DSC01313.jpg th_DSC01314.jpg th_DSC01315.jpg What I use to secure screen tops as well as the tops on plastic tubs is industrial strength Velcro. On each corner and, in the case of rubbermaids, at the middle of the longest side of the top.

15. Rapid Lizard

Rapid Lizard Member

Okay, I might go with the Velcro idea and a Rubbermaid or glass tank. Woah, that's a lot of snakes! Thank you! :)