This Disappears When Logged In

Thinking About Getting a Carpet?

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by Blite, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Blite

Blite Member

So I'm thinking about getting a carpet python. I've been looking at the IJ and the Jungle (probably with some diamond cross) but I've come across a couple questions that I can't seem to find a clear answer to.

1. I've heard very mixed things about their temperament. Some say mean, some say they are nippy but can be tamed down for minimal handling, and some say they are docile like a bally python. I just wanted to hear from some people that have had experiences with them cause I do want to be able to handle it. (Also, is there any major personality differences between the IJ and jungle).

2. I heard that carpet pythons have amazing colors as they become sub adults but as they become adults and continue to age their fade and become muddy looking and lose their highlights (especially the yellows). If anyone has any info on the color change as they age it would be great.

Thanks in advance everyone I appreciate the help!

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I have never had one, however, just thought I would point out that a snakes temperment can vary widely. The meanest snake I have ever come across is actually a ball python from the rescue I'm a foster for. He has been there for years because he even lunges when your walking by. It is true that some species are known for bad temperments, ex Retic and Rock pythons. Hopefully someone with experience with the carpets can chime in. Good luck.

3. JohnC

JohnC Elite Member

I have 7 carpets and have bred them.
    Most adult carpets have a good temperament. They will not bite you but they are also very keen feeders so care must be taken when feeding.
    But a small percentage are aggressive by nature and no amount of handling will change this.
    I have 6 which are dead tame and one which is highly defensive and bites anything which enters it's vivarium.
    Baby carpets are usually very bitey, in a defensive way. My babies were fine when just hatched but grown on a bit they became defensive although once out of the viv they were not so bad. As they grow up they become more sure of themselves and less defensive. Handling is said to help this process but I don't handle mine much apart from the bad one which I tried to improve by handling, and they all calmed down anyway and are all fine as adults.
    If you buy a small one, try to select one which is handlable, it should be OK for life.