This Disappears When Logged In

Thinking About a Kingsnake

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by awall3202, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If there is a difference its very small. Generations of snakes have been raised and reproduced feeding solely on F/T.

2. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

Merlin, Thank's for the insight, I think I am going to do a bit more research on nutrition. maybe I'll convert to F/T feed.

3. Merlin

Almost every large breeder as well as most zoos feed FT.

4. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

Hmm, to be honest with you I was not aware of that, but, at the same time it makes perfect senses, it's cheaper, there's not expiration date and you can store it in a small freezer.

5. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

I use f/t because it's so much cheaper and less of a hassle, I have it right on hand whenever I need to feed my snakes :) I would reccommend f/t to everyone! lol

6. Merlin

That and you can just toss them in and then come back a bit later and make sure that they were eaten.

7. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

Quick question, say your reptile did not eat not rodent, are you able to re-freeze it and store it away again?

8. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

It depends on how long it was been sitting out. I have heard if it's less than 30min or so it's ok?

Merlin can help you out on that one, he has experience with that.

9. Merlin

If they don't eat it immediately and no one else needs fed I will refreeze it ONCE. And it is placed in a seperate bag so I know which one it is.

And that is thawing, feeding immediately and refreezing if necessary. I don't piddle around. If the snake doesn't take it pretty quickly it doesn't get fed that rotation.
    If it has been thawed out for more than an hour I would just toss it.

10. awall3202

awall3202 Elite Member

im in houston, texas.the guy i found actually told me about an expo coming up in may in old katy and told me if i let him know ahead of time which one i want he can have it there and save me the shipping price. i work 3 jobs so being home for it to be shipped here would be very difficult. he told me to have something to feed him in like a large tupperware container or box and only to feed him in there nothing else so that he knows when its feeding time and when its not. i definitely want a hatchling rather than an adult so he will be used to me and my family and not something completely new. i keep seeing everyone feeds once a week? is that permanent or do they eat more often as the get older? and how much do you feed them when its feeding time?

11. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Actually, you feed them more often when they are younger,(depending how young) and less often when they are older. :) The bigger they are, the bigger size prey they get so they get fed less often as say a yearling or juvenile. I would assume that a young snake has a higher metabolism so they can digest faster, therefore needing to eat more often.

If i'm not completely accurate on that, Merlin or somone else will come along and assist you with that! lol

12. Merlin

I keep all my colubrids,from hatchlings to adults, on a once every 7 days feeding schedule. And one appropriately sized feeder each feeding.

13. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

That's how I want to keep Moscato's feeding schedule. I am glad you mentioned that Merlin, because I have been told to expand the amount of time between feedings once they get older.

14. Merlin

That is really more relavent to larger snakes like boas and pythons.
    With the smaller guys you aren't feeding rabbits, pigs, goats, etc!:D

15. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Haha, that is very true Merlin. Moscato would not be too happy without her pinkies once a week! ;)

16. awall3202

awall3202 Elite Member

so weve decided on a high white california kingsnake, well be gettin him the end of may. so now for research and setting up... yay

17. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

That's great news! Glad you have one picked out that you will like :)

18. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Cali Kings are beautiful snakes, and come in a lot of varieties! Can't wait to see the progress, and your new snake!

19. awall3202

awall3202 Elite Member

i can't wait til may 22nd for the harka convention to bring home the new baby. need suggestions for hide spots? in the stores i always see those wood tunnel things, are those good for them i worry it could scratch them? also what could i use for a basking spot? i have a uromastyx and i have granite rocks in there right now, would those work for a snake as well?

20. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

as for a hide you could use a shoebox, or just about any tupperware, i dont know about kings but i know my pythons and my boa like any space that is tight, my boa that is almost 7 feet crams her big butt into an easter basket without a handle that is upside down, its her favorite spot, basicly the basking spot can just be the bulb aimed in a certian spot in the tank, just make sure your temps arent too high or too low and you should be fine, good luck with your new addition!