This Disappears When Logged In

Things Changed, a Few of You May Be Happy to Hear

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by andys3ballpythons, Nov 15, 2010.

1. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

so the granite burm i was wanting got out, got cold and ended up with a bad resp infection, so i wont be getting her, got to thinking about it and there is a redtail i was also keeping my eye on, no one wants her because she has been tank fed and sometimes bites, but ive never had a problem handling her, i know they stay quite a bit smaller and im more familiar with them in all aspects, so im thinking of getting the redtail instead, and i also want to appologize about being a jerk if i was, just had a really bad week or two with family issues, so i wasnt thinking real clear either. i do apprechiate the advise, didnt take it for granted.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A boa is a much better choice to start getting your feet wet with larger snakes. Most will calm down and be easily handled. And while they don't get outrageously big they are still a good sized adult.
    One word of advise, since the snake is a biter, keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol near the cage. In case of a serious latch on "I am going to try to swallow your arm" type bite, holding a cloth with a bit of alcohol on it against the snake's nose will make the snake release.

3. andys3ballpythons

i will surely do that, ive also heard of cold water working, but the alchohol does work way better. i think the boa deserves a chance at having a good home that the owner has been bitten before, and i will fully admit, %99 of the time it is human error and not the snakes fault when it comes to a bite. like riding a motorcycle, if you ride, its not IF but WHEN you will lay it down, same thing as far as being bit.

4. bighog85

bighog85 Elite Member

That does sound like a much better situation. I always recommend boas as a starter for the big guys and the majority of the time people never get anything bigger. A nine foot boa is still a very large, impressive snake and usually satisfies the craving for anything bigger. As Merlin said, keep the alcohol close and begin to hook train the snake so that you don't get yourself bit to often. Hooking training is simple and technically you don't have to even use a snake hook. Get a piece of wood or something at least a couple feet long and every time you are going to take the snake out to be handled, just tap the snake on its head. When you are feeding, don't worry about taking it out to feed but don't use the hook in any way. What you are trying to do is help the snake distinguish between feeding time and handling time since the majority of bites that people take are food related. I do this with every one of my snakes, even the babies, and I rarely get bitten. How big is the boa and do you know how old it is? Boas are some of my favorite snakes because they usually have a really good temperament and they are very impressive to look at. Nobody here is holding anything against you. I understand the draw of the giants, I really do. But it took me 15 years of raising reptiles and quite a lot of hands on experience with big snakes before I was willing to take any in myself. The story I always tell people who need to understand the power of these snakes is this. My absolute favorite snake that I own is my 14 ft. tiger retic Athena. She is not only stunning to look at but she is a very calm, handleable animal that I have really just come to adore. Anyways, I had her out one day when she was probably 11 or 12 feet long and we were taking some pictures for our herp society calender. A friend of mine and I were holding her and she just had a coil draped over my forearm, not even wrapped around all the way. As you probably know, snakes like to feel secure and so she had a good grip on my arm, and right then I realized that even if I really needed to, there was no way I was going to get her off of my arm. It felt like it was a piece of steel draped over my arm and it was not coming off. Now imagine if she had been trying to hurt me, not just holding on like she would to the branch of a tree. I had never done anything stupid with her before that but I still had sort of a wakeup call as to what these animals are truly capable of. I know I am very blunt in how I communicate with people but it is necessary sometimes to get a point across to those that don't want to hear what I have to say. A few of us here have experience with these snakes that goes beyond just seeing them in a pet store or knowing what we found on Google and because of that we need to share with those that would otherwise make an uninformed decision. I am happy to hear that you changed your mind, but not because I have a need to be right. It is because the responsibility that we take on when we care for any animal has to be completely thought out and the vast majority of time a decision to bring home a giant is not. Please don't ever feel like you can't come here with questions, but understand that when you are hearing the same thing from almost everyone that answers your question, it probably means that there is some truth to what they are saying. I am glad that you are here and anytime you want to discuss big snakes, I am up for it.

5. Merlin

I have heard the same about the water but in my experience it doesn't work. We had a California King that was very intent on swallowing my wife's thumb and put it under the water and it couldn't have cared less. However a little alcohol and it quickly backed off!

6. andys3ballpythons

well i say "she" but im not even %100 on that one, but she is a bit over 6ft, not sure how old, it was one that got dropped on my friend and since has not been able to find a good home, i wish i did know the age but i figure she has a lot of years left and is in really good health right now. i was at petsmart yesterday and noticed the snake hooks were fairly cheap, so on the 20th when i get my new addition i think ill invest in on, $7 is cheap to stay away from that one real bad bite lol. i do feel really bad for that burm, i am starting to wonder if she will even make it, but ill keep checking on her and at least let you guys know that much.

7. andys3ballpythons

oh and by the way, even the wife is happier with the new decision lol

8. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

That's allways a plus !!!!!!

9. bighog85

bighog85 Elite Member

If it is the one I am thinking of then I would save your money. You want a very strong hook that can be used to maneuver the snake should you need to. I think the one that you are looking at is that collapsible thing, right? Like I said, it does not NEED to be a hook to do the hook training, just something long enough that you can tap her on the head with. I like the hooks at bigappleherp.com because they are priced well and are quite strong. I have also seen people saw off the head of a golf club and then epoxy one of those red utility hooks from any hardware store into it. If you are going to buy one, I would expect to pay at least $25 for it but as long as it is a good one, it should last for years.

10. Merlin

LOL! That little petsmart job is nowhere nearly strong enough for a 6ft boa!
    You can make your own from a paint roller. Just look in the Articles page for a how to.

I made mine from peice of 1/4 inch steel bar I got at the hardware store. Just bend it( a vise and a rubber mallet are helpful) and then make a wooden handle to go on it.

11. Boa

Boa Elite Member

Congrats on getting the boa.

12. andys3ballpythons

thank you, and i think i may do the golf club thing, would be a lot stronger, and my grandpa has about 70 clubs he doesnt use, and yea, its the collapsable one, are they that weak? lol

13. bighog85

bighog85 Elite Member

Ya they really are not good for much at all. A good hook is your best friend and you don't want to leave it to a cheap piece of junk.

14. Merlin

The hooks you are looking at are more applicable for something like a corn or kingsnake.
    The hefty weight of a big boa would turn it into a noodle!

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

We have a 'bipolar' female boa who is about 7'9". Some days she is sweet as can be. Other days, she is on a spree. I think her worst day was 3 connecting bites, and 2 failed attempts (Because by this point, I had her by the neck to prevent further bites, but it sure didn't stop her from trying!).

Even with her, it is more startling than anything else. The bites themselves are not terrible, and usually don't hurt at all after the fact, and stop bleeding very very quickly. She does leave bruises though, and I'm not sure it's because of the force with which she hits, or the length of her teeth possibly puncturing further in.

Most of the time, aggression like that is only on feeding day. We have had a few unrelated occurrences though, where there was no reason we could discern why she should be so moody (no shed, illness, impending meal, etc.)

She is a bit of a fiery tempered beast. I do not know any other boas with that disposition.

16. andys3ballpythons

well i went to see her and measure her inclosure, and went to get her out, and well lets say my luck ran out, she finally taste tested me, hurt a bit and a slight bruising is showing, but no real harm done, still taking her home on the 20th, re-arranging the room so her inclosure will fit. im sure the temper will calm over time, but she is just territorial, after she is out she does just fine, so not real worried.

17. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

She'll be a bit of a fun learning experience I'm sure! :) Better to be bit by a boa than a burmese though..now THAT would hurt! Yeesh! :eek:

Most boas just seem to be sweeties! There is always the exception.. But USUALLY it seems the grumpy snakes are made grumpy by SOMETHING..smell, noise, etc. My friend thought he had the meanest bearded dragon in the world, I went to visit and saw he kept it in his music room where he played the drums and guitar on a daily basis... Well huh I wonder why it was grumpy??? He moved it to a quiet area and it's been a sweetheart ever since.

Good luck and I hope to see pictures!!

18. andys3ballpythons

there will definately be pictures, i need to update my bp pics also, ozzy has gotten quite a bit bigger, i think he was treated poorly before i got him, poor guy