This Disappears When Logged In

They're here!

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by Bitis Gabonica, Oct 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Our megaray's arrived last week, and today we got the USA-UK plug convertors, so we finally got to put our new UV lights in for our beardies! :D

Rocky is having hers tomorrow, as we are giving her a new house as well :p but we put one of the bulbs in for Osiris, Yemaya and Eostara - here's some shots of the megaray on its first day :p

At time of Bob Mac packing it measured 225uW/cm2 at 12".,. In November Frances Baines is coming to visit and we will spend a day measuring and testing the bulbs, as well as other bulbs and tubes that are on the commercial market now, to compare and hopefully write an article. We are really looking forward to the results of these tests, and I'm hoping to see some visual differences in the dragons, espcecially in Rocky who was deprived of UV for so long before we had her. I am very excited about these bulbs,. give me a little while to see some results and I will be recommending them to everyone no doubt! :p

Enjoy the pics.. Megaray's First Day 13th Oct '04. :)

Attached Files:

2. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Looks good rach, Im gonn have to say they like it by looking at that first pic.

Glad to hear that rockys doing good as well, its amazing what a little TLC and UV can do.

When you start researching lights are you focusing on UVB, or the full spectrum of the bulb? I would love to know what those fluro grow bulbs are putting off.

3. Bitis Gabonica

Sorry, I just edited my first post, forgot to put in the measurements of UVB at the time of packing! Doh! :D

Frances and I will be looking at the UVB output of the bulbs at various distances and from various angles, and we will also be testing the UVB output of various other bulbs and tubes of various ages, such as the reptileglo 8.0 tube that the beardies had previously had, that is now over 6months old. It will be fascinating to read the measurements of these tubes and bulbs, we will also be measuring the natural sunlight, weather permitting, although November is perhaps not the best time for outdoor testing lol. Frances, and others, including our very own admin??, have already started tests of their own.

4. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

WOW! Why do they look so green??

5. Bitis Gabonica

LOL :D Well Osiris is very citrus coloured anyway (even though they are hypo-red tiger-stripes :confused: :p ) .. but the bulbs do have a strange glow to them that makes everything appear slightly yellow/green. :D I guess it goes to show how much UV they are giving off eh! :D

6. Mark

Mark Elite Member

The bulbs do give off a light that you are not used to viewing. A much "cooler" light meaning that it is more toward the blue side of the spectrum than the red (as we see it). Red colors are really effected by it and the first time I saw Bob's mouth open under it I was freaked, it looked so sickly almost gray. With my theater lighting and engineering (electrical with a tough of optics) background I knew what it was after the initial shock though. Just look at the bright pink sand in the last pic above.

I love the looks of the guy just crashed on the shelf up in the corner. Just looks co relaxed and content.

7. Bitis Gabonica

:D Might have to try that tomorrow! :p

I am really looking forward to seeing the visual effects of these bulbs in a few weeks - Osiris is a beautiful dragon, and I can see his colours becoming more and more prominant under the light of the bulbs. :)

8. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Cool Rachel, cant wait to see results myself, :D dont know where to put mine now lol.

9. Bitis Gabonica

Here are some more shots of the beardies enjoying their new bulb - the UV tube in the background is their old UV light and will be removed tonight, as it no longer serves a purpose,.

I am observing some unusual behaviour - all of the dragons are spending all of their time underneath the new light, i have never seen them do this with any other light, but it's almost like they actually like it, or they have some kind of D3 deficiancy having never had bulbs as good as this before. It's amazing how clever animals are sometimes - they clearly "know" that this bulb is emitting high levels of UVB which they have never been subjected to before.

Only problem is.. I think the male has mistaken the new "sunshine" for summer.. he is trying his old "i'm going to run around the tank all day, head-bobbing and trying to impress the ladies" routine, which he hasn't done for the past few weeks, since the seasons are changing and we about to put them into brumation! Lights may have to be turned off during winter,. Frances and I are debating the prospect of this.

Attached Files:

10. Bitis Gabonica

And here's some of Rocky enjoying her first day with the megaray :p

She immediately spread out her body and angled her head towards the light when we put it in, the way she does when she is getting some natural UV.. i am sooo impressed with these bulbs!! Can you tell?? :p

Attached Files:

11. Mark

Mark Elite Member

The lizards do know that there is higher UV levels there as they are able to see into that range of the light spectrum -- we can't.

Have you thought about moving the MegaRay so it is mounted to the wall slightly above the basking shelf and angled down and along the shelf? The bulb is a very narrow focused beam of UV but when you angle it you elongate the basking area and more than one lizard will fit in the prime area. There is a lot more on this and pics showing the gradient of UV output over distances in the Yahoo UVB meter reader's group (don't know if you are a member already).

Placing a weak red bulb (15 of 25 W incandescent) next to the MegaRay may help "correct" the colors you view your lizards in but will not effect the UV output of the flood.

Mark

12. Bitis Gabonica

Thanks for the suggestions, but the bulb is placed in the position it's in at the moment because the dragons must be at least 12" away from it, and it won't be suitable anywhere else.

Thanks for the information about the lizards being able to see the spectrum that we can't see. I'm not bothered about viewing the lizards in a slightly green light.. i might have to start wearing sunglasses when i look into the tanks though :p
    Frances and I will be taking measurements from various positions and distances in the tank to record the UV output so I guess we will know in a month or so how much UVB the lizards are receiving from their different spots in the tank. :)

13. jmherp

jmherp Elite Member

its amazing how much better mvb makes thier colors, and thier activity....i just switched to bigappleherps capture the sun mvb's and love them, but isnt it wierd how it make your pics turn out green, mine turn out the same way...

14. venus

venus Founding Member

awesome Rach, I cant wait to order my lights.

15. Bitis Gabonica

Thanks Marsha. They are pretty awesome! We noticed after just a few days the white paper lining Rocky's tank had turned yellow! - I can't imagine what it is doing for the dragons! :D I can't wait to test the UV readings!

jrobinson.. you know what i'm going to say........ pics?? Why have you not posted them on here yet??? :D

16. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

The megarays are awesome. I just placed an order for 3 more.

17. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Is there a link you can give us to these bulbs Bitis?

18. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

19. Ace

Ace Elite Member

WOW!

Thats great that they make that much of a difference I will have to look into ordering! I'm Glad that Rocky continues to do better! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.