This Disappears When Logged In

Thermometer/hygrometer Question

Discussion in 'Heating' started by Sinlightened, Apr 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sinlightened

Sinlightened Elite Member

I've never used the ones with probes, but am going to start with this new enclosure I'm putting together (nothing fantastic, that will come later) I've only used the digital stick on side ones placed low to the substrate. but the question I have is, is there much or any difference between the ones made for herp enclosures and the household indoor/outdoor ones? are the probes larger/harder to conceal in the cage? or do they work just fine? I saw a thread on here were someone mentioned getting one for around $7-$10 at walmart and figured if they work just as well, might as well go that route.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

They are basically the same thing. I have been getting my thermometers at Lowes for years.

3. Sinlightened

I kinda figured that was the answer... I just wanted to post something =) lol

4. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I used this in my old enclosure, I got it at lowes for $15 and it works great, has a 6 foot probe cord.

Attached Files:

5. Sinlightened

Cool, I saw some wireless dual probe ones I might pick up... not really worried about the money.. but the dual probe would be nice to monitor both sides of the enclosure with one unit.

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

The single wire takes a multiple reading. It reads where the unit is, and where the probe is. So place the reader at one end, and the probe at the other

7. Sinlightened

well I guess that makes sense... dunno why that didn't click for me =) thanks!

8. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

That's the nice thing about the 6 foot cord, you velcro the unit to one end and the probe to the other. Probe reads "outdoor" and the unit reads indoor. The unit will also read humidity but the probe doesn't. I use remote probes now so I can get temp/humidity without putting the whole unit in the enclosure.
    And for the link, just go to the garden section of lowes, they have them on the shelf :)

9. Sinlightened

That's what I was planning.. And I guess I can erase that post ;) at first the pictures weren't attached.

10. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

LOL Ya I hit the wrong button and had to edit real quick :eek:

11. Sinlightened

Shwknight, Does that same unit do humidity as well?? I was looking at it at Home Depot yesterday and I think it does since It has a humidity range in the fine print on the back, but it doesn't actually say.

12. Merlin

I have a couple of the same unit. It does do humidity but only on the base unit. It doesn't read it from the probe. If you wish to use the humidity function the base unit must be inside the enclosure.

13. Sinlightened

Thanks Merlin, that's kinda what I figured. Which is fine since the humidity shouldn't really change from side to side like the temp will.

14. Merlin

Well there will be variances in humidity level. There will be more humidity down low and less at the top, like fog settles. But it isn't going to be a radical difference.

15. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

What Merlin said ;)

16. Sinlightened

i just wanted to thank you guys again.. i've been using that unit for almost 2 months now and love it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.