This Disappears When Logged In

There's a spider!!

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by Padfoot, Feb 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

i agree with the yuks and the ewws! i too would be screaming even if it wasn't a dangerous spider. spiders are icky. the bug thing doesn't sit right with me either. unless its a mantis or butterfly or caterpillar or something like that.

2. Joe

Joe Elite Member

Spiders don't bother me.. Rachel, she's right there with Lauren Jay.. give her a snake she's fine, put a spider near her and she will run a mile! :D

It is possible that the spider in your house was a brown recluse, however apparently there are so many calls about spiders that have been mistaken for brown recluses.. even then, the brown recluse has a "potentially fatal" bite, it won't kill you on the spot, and remember, as with most animals, spiders rarely bite and will do so usually when they feel threatened or when they are injured.

Cool pic. :)

3. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Could be a type of wolf spider, take a look here at the 5th pic down on the right Spider

It also looks like a huntsman spider too, in one of the pics I have seen, but they are from Austrailia.

4. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Yuk it's absolutely horrendous! The whole town would hear me scream if that got in my house!! Great pic though, very interesting. :D

5. Padfoot

Padfoot Elite Member

Ok... I'm a bit more awake today. 8) Hmmm... the description, from what I read yesterday, does fit a brown recluse, except size (this one was about double size of the described one for a recluse)... also the description says that the abdomen is solid brown (no markings) and this one has markings in the abdomen. It says that the best way to identify a recluse it's cause it has 6 eyes... but you can't see the eyes in my pic... Also, the violin shaped mark on the back, seems weird to me... looks like it has a hat (note a triangle on top of the violin) I saw other closeups of the violin and it has the exact shape of a violin, this one not. It does looks like a wolf too, the pictures you posted, they all have a line on the cephalothorax, not a violin with a weird triangle... I'll check later if there's another site where this spider could be identified. I have class now. 8(

6. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Whatever it is....I would have to have someone squish it or catch it and let it go some place FAR FAR away from ME!!! :eek: LOL

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Got "Raid"? :p

8. jman

jman Elite Member

w/e all im sayin is that brown recluse comes in many sizes and those markings are caused by the spider kicking hair in defense.

9. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Spider!

We have Brown Recluse's every where around here and it kind of looks like one my sisters old house was full of them, familys upon familys! :D

10. Leslie

Leslie Active Member

Looks like it might be one of these:

http://spiders.ucr.edu/images/Is_or_Isn't_recluse_files/Spider9.jpg

"...the bottom right spider is a male huntsman spider (Heteropoda venatoria) found most often in Florida but occasionally in other gulf coast states. They are can be determined to be NOT recluses by more than one color on their legs or abdomens."

(How to Identify and Misidentify a Brown Recluse Spider by Rick Vetter Staff Research Associate, UC Riverside Dept. of Entomology Updated Jan 2005)

11. Padfoot

Padfoot Elite Member

That one does look like my spider... I still haven't found it again, though.. it hasn't been seen...

12. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Leslie would be correct on that one. Not a recluse. Brown recluses, aka, fiddleheads, have a mark on the carapace (head) that bears a remarkeable resemblance to a violin (fiddle for those of you from Louisiana :p). The huntsman is a harmless species, very common in homes throughout the amercias. We get similar spiders in ND and I've even kept them as pets. You only need fear him if you're a bug :p

13. Padfoot

Padfoot Elite Member

It would be actually weird to kill a spider in this house... there are worst pests around here, like ants, mosquitoes and cockroaches... and the spiders help keep down those populations. That's why we always let them in the house... The only spiders I've actually killed are a couple of spiders that came with one of my crix shipments.. I didn't wanted to let them loose and that they cause havoc here... so better killed...

14. jman

jman Elite Member

Intresting

15. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

Brown recluse spiders have a very strong venom. I have also heard stories of people waking up with a small bump on their hand or w/e, and over time it gets bigger. Then, when they go to the doctor to get it lanced, baby brown recluse spiders crawled out of the opening!!!!! The adult laid it's eggs in the guy's skin! Gross? YA!!!!!! but you never know how reliable my gossipy southern family is :p

16. GiftigeSpinne

GiftigeSpinne Elite Member

Are you sure that it is a recluse? I thought that were smaller than that they tend to hide hence the name recluse (reclusive)... Anyway if it is a rcluse take jman's advice! you dont want to be pumped full of cytotoxin

17. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Nah, it wasn't a recluse. Its harmless. Plus I don't think Puerto Rico has recluses anyway, though I could be mistaken.

18. goldrockin_froggie

goldrockin_froggie Well Established Member

Re you going to buy me a new monitor since you just made me smash this one? but i got that spider lol

19. Padfoot

Padfoot Elite Member

When I posted this I researched and found that there are recluses (and black widows) in PR.. but they are not common. Mostly found in rural areas, I live right in the city. I compared it to several pics and I'm pretty sure it was a huntsman spider, which can also be found in PR. I found a pic of one that's pretty much the same as mine. Either way, this was taken months ago and the spider has not appeared again.

20. fangsalot

fangsalot Elite Member

yeah its a huntsman,no doubt about it,i have a whole bunch of huntsman pics in my tarantula books.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.