This Disappears When Logged In

There Be Roaches Here!

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Merlin, Oct 5, 2010.

1. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Congrats!!!!!! I still remember the day when I got my Dubia colony all set up and finally realized that I no longer had to house those "horribly stinky/noisy crickets"..OH, what a HAPPY Day!!!!!!.....

2. Medium

Medium Elite Member

I am not sure how I missed this one...but better late then never. I have not gone down the roach road myself...but with me having the small guys I figured I am good. Crickets just do not bother me.

I bet the wife is saying "what did I just get myself into"...LOL! Congrats!

3. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Oh, she's been saying THAT for years!! ;) o:)

LOL, Congrats on the Dubia colony - woo hoo! No more crickets and probably some pocket money on the side -- how good can it get!!! :D

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! She's fine with them.

As long as she doesn't have to handle them.

Or feed and water them.

Or see them.

Or talk about them.

Or think about them.

5. Medium

Medium Elite Member

LOL Merlin, or talking to them...;)

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Well Merlin, I just may have broke my husband! He was saying how much we spend on crickets a month and I told him that Flat Rock Cricket would be so much cheaper, they live longer, not affected by that cricket virus going around and they don't smell like the crickets do. He said that if I did get them they could go in his garage/workshop, as long as he doesn't see any in the house. " I kept it cool, not making a big deal about it" I asked him to go and pick me up some crickets, still waiting on a order to arrive, the store was running low so he could only buy 25 at a time. He came back and said $.15 for a single cricket, he thought that was so crazy.
    Yep so I may have my own colony soon!!!

7. Merlin

Fortunately our local herp shop has what they call the "Cricket Card". You pre order the amount you want and then just come in and pick them up as you need them and they mark them off the card.
    I get 1000 for $40.00
    That way I don't have to deal with cleaning cricket bins and die offs. Just have to go to the shop a couple of times every week. But its only about a mile from my house to the shop.
    And of course I ALWAYS have to look around!:-"
    I will probably still use some crickets just for variety, just won't use as many!

8. mld

So how many male and females did you get to start off with. My FRC supplier say that she is going to send me about 300 of them, should I request a certain ratio of female to males, and should I get more than 300?

9. Merlin

I just bought a starter of approx 200. They were a variety of sizes with a couple of adult pairs. I figured 200 would get me started and I REALLY didn't want to push my luck as I WAS getting away with it.

10. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

300 are more than enough. I started out with about 30 adults. Not sure on the male to female ratio. Within 5 months I had more FRCs than I knew what to do with. If you can get a handful of adults in that 300 mix, give it 3-5 months and you will be golden.

11. mld

yes, that's what she said about 3 months to establish.

Thanks Guys and Gals

12. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Definitely a money saver those Dubias.
    Been probably 2yrs or more since I bought crickets.
    It's a little different feeding roaches as it's better to use a deep glass bowl they can't climb out off rather than tossing them in like crickets.
    Roaches are good hiders.

13. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

And apparently they can survive on coco-earth/organic soil mixture, too. I just found 6 LARGE roaches in 'Mater's tank (my American Toad). They were WAAYY too large for feeding my toad, so we must have had escapes in the tank... and they have been living in there for a while :eek: ;)

14. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

That's why i make sure the tanks are sealed well if feeding roaches.
    The wife is none too happy to find one. Which has happened once, but it was all dried up.

15. Pioggia

Pioggia Well-Known Member

Anyone know where I can get a good starter colony without spending an arm and leg? We've narrowed down the source of my recent parasite problem to indeed being the crickets. With that being the case I want to avoid those noisy chirping bugs at all costs, sadly 150$ for one gecko to turn around and die from the parasites, and now another gecko who needs to go in... I'm broke. :(

Cheap to be sending me roaches please? Or at least a source? [I feel like I'm talkin drugs here... I need a dealer.]

16. Merlin

Go back to the post from Liz (schlegelbagel) She has dubias for sale.

17. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I have Dubias for sale. The last batch I shipped was to Washington state, cost $10 to ship. I would want you to wait a few months unless you want to pay for overnight shipping. Its too cold out to do it any other way.