This Disappears When Logged In

There Be Roaches Here!

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Merlin, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! After much discussion, deliberation, and down right wheedling,....:-"
    My wife caved in!

It surprised the heck out of me!

At the OKC Reptile Expo (Which I barely got back in town in time to make) there was a vendor selling feeder roaches. Between the vendor and I, she finally gave in, and I came home with the start of a dubia colony!

A couple of months and it will be bye bye crickets!:D

Of course she STILL shudders everytime she walks by the container but its too late to change her mind!
    I am going to put the tub up on top of my iguana enclosure to use the warm spot of the CHE as a heat source.
    So her short little self can't reach them!>:)

2. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

LOL that is awesome, congrats on the start of your colony! I keep thinking about it, but haven't gotten so far as starting a colony, what I bring home gets eaten right away LOL

3. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

I have never possessed any type of roach ever, let alone started a colony, but in the future I would really like to put that idea into action.

Anyways, congratulations on the colony, hope all goes well.

4. Merlin

I lived, MANY years ago, in a place that was infested with the local cockroaches so I do understand people's hesitation. It took me a bit to warm up to the idea myself.

5. okiron

okiron Elite Member

w00t congrats. I'm hopefully starting my own colony in a month or 2 :)

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Wonderful news, wish they were legal here in Canada, and wish my husband would let it happen. He said it will be a cold day in H#!! when a cockroach enters this house. We have also had experiences with the local bad roaches in buildings, so it's left a bad taste in his mouth.
    One day maybe I can be as fortunate as you are to have your spouse allow these critters in. Congratulations, I remember you mentioning that your wife would not allow them, good for her. Some times it take an intervention or a stranger to let them see the light. I'm glad for you, still jealous but happy that you are able to keep them.

7. bighog85

bighog85 Elite Member

Welcome to feeder freedom! It is a great thing to have whatever you need whenever you need it. I am probably going to start breeding rodents as well because feeding 80 some odd reptiles gets expensive, lol. Good luck with that!

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I can't wait for my move - Florida only allows one species (Blaberus discoidalis). Michigan has no laws in the books on cockroaches. My only thing is making sure when I don't move that I don't bring any German cockroaches with me. Already got that covered though.

As is, I have a colony of Discoids, and it's slowly getting there (slowly because it's all my Cuban Knight Anole will eat!).

Congrats on getting the roaches! If after March, you find you have a few too many, I would be happy to take some off your hands.

9. tedmunds

tedmunds Elite Member

Congrats on the roaches. I'm hoping to soon have some of my own. Parents were surprisingly open minded to the concept. Dad still can't believe people would pay money for roaches lol. All I need to do is figure out how many to buy since I will only be feeding one animal (beardie) and I would want to start him on them when I get him. Since it will most likely be a baby I get, I'm still not sure what size/amount I should get.

10. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Good luck with rodents! they take so much more time, I quit breeding mine because the lack of room and the urine smell, even though I cleaned them every couple of days the urine just got to me in the end.

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

You will probably end up making a tidy profit. The roaches will most likely breed more than you need. Sell the excess.

12. tedmunds

tedmunds Elite Member

Where would I sell them?

13. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

On-line, or out of your back door.

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Once I move, I would happily buy some. But yeah, online is probably your best bet. Check your local pet shops, many have public bulletin boards, you could probably put up a poster to advertise yourself - you know, the kind with the tear-off sections with your contact info.

15. bighog85

bighog85 Elite Member

Ya there are definitely pitfalls to it, but I am very analytical with my money and know that it is cheaper than any other option. Especially as my water monitor continues to get bigger I will be needing a lot of rodents. Most of my retics are on rabbits right now but I still have a couple that will be on rats for a while along with all of my smaller snakes and monitors. Also, the rats will be in my garage so the smell won't be in the house at all. I will see how it goes. I met a guy in my area that has a small room in his basement where he breeds his rodents. When I walked in I thought it was going to smell horribly but it didn't at all. He told me that he had found this pellet bedding that puffs up when it gets wet and said that it was the reason his room didn't smell. My biggest concern is figuring out how to keep them warm enough during the winter so they continue breeding. I'm not quite sure how I am going to do that yet but I will figure it out.

16. Merlin

I bred mice for a bit. I found the smell, the costs associated with caring for them and the amount of effort it entailed just didn't make it worth the effort.
    I will just keep on ordering my rodents, frozen! LOL!

17. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I sell my excess on craigs list. Gets me dinner out once in a while.

18. Merlin

Thats actually one of the "carrots" that I have been dangling in front of my wife!
    "But honey,....If I can get them going well enough I can sell the excess for extra money!"

19. monkeytechahoo

monkeytechahoo Elite Member

Congrats on the roaches, I LOVE mine. It's great fun to remind my roach creepy out daughter that it's time to feed HER gecko the only thing HER gecko will eat...dubias. :p And then when it's time to water & feed them, poor daughter is the only one home all day that can do that too. ;|(|

20. bighog85

bighog85 Elite Member

Ya I am kinda torn on that. I know it means a lot more time and I don't really have a lot more to give. I also don't know that I would easily be able to keep my garage warm enough during the winter. Thinking of the enormity of it all makes me just wonder if I should keep buying frozen through the winter and then start breeding when I know it will be warm enough. It is just soooooooo expensive to pay for shipping up to Idaho. It is twice as much as most other places.