This Disappears When Logged In

The Quest for my 2nd snake

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by JMM, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Hi,

The "negotiations" at home are at a standstill but nevertheless (thinking positive) I will start the "the quest for my 2nd snake". Hopefully by the beginning of next year I´ll be able to get it.

As you may know, due to legal constrains, the options in Portugal are very restrict: basically it has to be a Colubrid; due to market constrains, it should also be a relatively common snake. As regards my "home negotiations", it would be easier if the snake is colorful and with a good temperament. Eating f/t rodents is a must.

I am considering a diurnal snake. As most of you know, I already have a Sinaloan and so I would prefer my 2nd snake to be more active during the day (they would get their attention at different periods of the day and we would all enjoy a bit more). I would also prefer a snake with a "distinctive head".

Bearing all the above in mind, I woudl like to get your input to narrow the research and, ultimately, my choice.

Summarizing:

Has to be
    - Colubrid;
    - Eating f/t rodents;

Preferably
    - Diurnal;
    - Good temperament and nice colours;
    - Distinctive head;
    - Relatively common (or I will not be able to get it in Portugal)

So far, I have considered a Taiwanese beauty snake (Elaphe taeniura friesi) - difficult but not impossible to get in Portugal.
    More ideas ?

(p.s.:a Corn Snake would always be a very good choice, meeting all but one of the criteria above)

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

How about a Mandarin Rat ??

3. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

A Taiwanese beauty snake can be a bit fiesty, well the ones ive saw. I know there are several elphae(sp) that are wonderful colored. Getting them there is diffrent than here though. ;/

4. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Tks for your replies.

Ken,
    I got this info on the Madarin (Elaphe madarina)

A really beautiful snake, but I think I´m not (yet) prepared to have one.

Mooglebass
    I´m looking over the Elaphe genus.
    As regards the Tai beauty being feisty or not, I´m getting contradictory info. So far..

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Personally I would go with the cornsnake. Easy to feed, easy to handle, and available in a variety of colors.
    And my corns are often looking at me out the sides of the enclosure no matter what time of day it is.

6. JMM

JMM Elite Member

That is, most likely, the wisest decision, Merlin.

Nevertheless, in the meanwhile, I´ll continue gathering information.
    If not for anything else, I´m learning.

For instance, I´ve been reading about the Mexican Tiger Ratsnake (Spilotes pullatus mexicanus) and its an amazing snake ! (and a big one)
    Well, problably nearly impossible to get here in Portugal, anyway...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.