This Disappears When Logged In

The Passing of a Species

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Merlin, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A sad day. We have lost the last of his kind.

*********************************************************************************************************
    Lonesome George, the last of his Giant tortoise species, has died at the Charles Darwin Research Station in the Galapagos Islands. Lonesome George's death was announced by the Edwin Naula, the head of the Galapagos National Park service. "This morning the park ranger in charge of looking after George found him dead. His body was motionless," said Naula.

Galapagos Islands .com - Newsletter - Lonesome George ? Dead!

George's story
    Galapagos Islands .com - Galapagos Islands Newsletter - Story of George

2. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

This is truly a very sad day...And so the Pinta Island tortoise is now an extinct species.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

So sad! :(

4. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

that's terrible :(

5. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

6. justor

justor Elite Member

So long Lonesome George. :((( You and your kind will surely be missed. At least now he won't have to be so lonesome. I'm sure he's grazing away with all his long lost friends up in tortoise heaven.

Sometimes I am just ashamed to be a human... :(

7. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Sad to hear. :/

8. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

So sad :'( I wonder how many other animals we will drive into extinction in my time and my childerens time :(
    A young black bear was killed in my town saturday night. He was so tiny, one officer was able to carry him. They used the he was too far into town to tranq him and relocate...
    It's thinking like that and of course all the careless use of land thats doing it.

Rest in peace George, sorry we failed your species.

9. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

R.I.P. George......

10. Vers

Vers Elite Member

To think sailors used to capture tortoises like George as easy to transport, long distance provisions for extended trips at sea. Think about how many tortoises, many likely over 200 years old, were lost this way and the devastating effect this must have had on the future success of such species. It truly is a shame.

11. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

While I am not much into turtles and such I do miss them when they are gone, and this is as gone as it gets.

The future is a bit dimmer now.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I hear you! Our track record as "The dominant species" is abysmal!
    When we should have been the caretakers of this planet, we have instead been the abusers and exploiters!
    There is an old Indian proverb saying