This Disappears When Logged In

The Magical Reappearing Snake!!

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by WormFood, Dec 7, 2011.

1. WormFood

WormFood Active Member

A quick story of my disappearing reappearing coastal

About A week ago my coastal carpet python escaped from a makeshift holding tank i had her in while i was renovating her custom enclosure. Shes not a big girl yet so i didn't think she was strong enough to bust out of a Rubbermaid bin... surprise surprise she was. So, i live in an apartment complex in upstate New York and its December. This left me with two huge concerns, Everyone has their heat on so she has no motivation to come back to her cozy warm enclosure, and if she made it outside shes dead for sure. I went nuts looking for her....NUTS. i cut my box-spring open, i cut the bottom of my couch open i turned the heat off for days to encourage going to her warm tank. flour in the doorways to see witch way she was heading (great idea!) ect ect ect. After a week i sadly gave up hope and put my ball python in her old tank.:(

Welllllllll this morning i woke up and went to do the usual checks, fresh water, temps, poop, coastal carpet curled up with ball python.....!?!?!? wait what? yes. somehow the coastal found her way back into the enclosure and was coiled up rite next to my ball in in the warm hide.:) And just like everyone has told me over and over this week, if you don't find your snake in the first 24 hours your not gonna. but it will most likely find you. If your pet snake escapes DONT GIVE UP!
    thanks for reading.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I love when there is a happy ending! How cleaver of her to find a nice warm safe place to get warmed up, I wonder what your ball python thought of this:eek: Glad she is home safe and sound, I guess you'll have to get the ball back in his old tank!

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

24 hours is a bit soon to give up. My Brazilian Rainbow was loose a few months age for about 3 weeks. If your carpet was able to get and and out of the enclosure, you may want to look over it very closely to prevent future escapes, as it sounds like it isn't escape proof.

4. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Congrats on happy ending! I agree that you should check your enclosure over to see how she got in because if she did she can probably get out too.

5. WormFood

WormFood Active Member

I checked every inch of the enclosure. I found a small quarter inch hole in a corner, Its the only way she could have made it in. I imagine it hurt her seeing that her head is at least twice the size. For now i blocked it up and duct taped it inside and out and pushed against it as hard as i can and it didn't budge. I'm going to permanently repair it asap tho. i still cant believe it tho. i mean after a week and she just went back into her enclosure one morning. Last time this happened to me i was like 11 and it was my fist snake, a little corn snake, not a happy ending tho. So yes a happy ending is great. thanks guys.