This Disappears When Logged In

The Lizard Lounge

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by jonah, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonah

jonah Member

This is the enclosure I built for my daughter's curly tail lizard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I changed the wood to something thicker before we added the lizard.

[​IMG]

2. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

good choice in lizard and in enclosure

3. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Looks good!

I need someone who is handy building! My husband and I struggled with the iguana cage immensely and we didn't even build the main structure lol!

Can I say one thing? I am not sure about this kind of lizard but if it eats crickets etc.. Sand isn't a good substrate choice just because it can cause impaction. Anyone correct me if I am wrong when it comes to these kind of lizards!

4. jonah

jonah Member

Thanks. I saw quite a few comments about sand (pro and con), but I also talked to several experienced herp keepers that had never had it happen before. Besides, curly tails are diggers. They like to burrow in sand so sand was pretty much in the plan from the start.

5. jonah

jonah Member

Here's a wider shot with the new wood and heat lamp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Ace

Ace Elite Member

I still wouldn't risk it personally. He is a cute little guy!

7. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Cool looking lizard! It is so nice to see dads take an interest in their child's pet! Ditch the dial thermometers and get a digital at the hardware store!

8. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Nice. I also wouldn't risk it though.

9. jonah

jonah Member

Just out of curiousity (and I'm not trying to be a smart alec), but has anyone here actually had impaction problems with curly tails before? What's it look like?

10. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I couldn't find any pictures but I did find a few threads when I did a search where people had theirs die from impaction. I did find a few with x-rays of an impaction. This one has a leo and a beardie
    Reptile Impaction
    And this one has x-rays and pics
    Reptile Impaction

11. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

What kind of sand are you using? If you are using washed non-silica sifted playsand, and the Curly-Tail is an adult, then I understand why;d you want to. However, because there is still a risk for impaction, your best bet is to bucket feed. This means putting the lizard in a separate enclosure in order to feed live prey such as crickets and worms, and minimizes the risk for impaction.

12. jonah

jonah Member

It's washed playsand. The lizard is about 8" long, so he's already larger than most. I understand the concern with most lizards that are not normally found in sand, but I still don't understand why an animal that is found living in sand in the wild would suddenly start eating the stuff when it's captured. Is there something about captivity that screws with their ability to eat?

13. jonah

jonah Member

Here's a quote from "Lizard Care from A to Z, 2nd Edition" (page 120) from R.D. Bartlett and Patricia Bartlett published in 2009:

"Keeping: Curly-tails feed upon insects and other arthropods as well as some vegetation and are remarkably hardy as captives. They require dry terrraria with a sandy substrate into which they will burrow when frightened or cool. They are adept at darting around on rock surfaces and horizontal logs: the terrarium should be decorated accordingly. All will drink water from a shallow dish."

14. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

If they are found in nature on sand, then I don't see a problem with it. Do as Drache Dame suggest and feed in a separate container, then you don't have to worry. Sandy substrate doesn't exactly mean sand, it means that there is sand in it. You may want to add some organic soil in with that. It will help with making burrows.

Sand is a common worry around this website but there are some animals that require a digging area. Uros come to mind, they are usually kept on a combination of sand and organic soil.

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think using sand for very small/young lizards may present a problem, but many people use play sand once the animal`s is out of the "baby" stage.

16. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Like I said I wasn't sure if I was right when I posted that or not! I know that it has gotten many people into a jam and wanted to mention it! I apologize....

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I don`t think you`ve got anyone into a "jam", you were saying what you thought was best for the animal! Good for you!

18. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Jonah, I love your enclosure! Hint, next time when you build something please include all of us step by step! We love following a work of art in progress, plus, we learn from it.;)

What is your daughters lizard's name, he really looks happy.:D

19. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

It's not that anything screws with their ability to eat, or that the animal would just suddenly decide to start eating sand. But as the lizard goes after prey, they are likely to get some of the sand in their mouth at the same time. This happens in the wild as well - which is also why the lifespan of wild animals is generally shorter than that of well kept captive.

Looks like a great lounge ya got there. I think that you are correct that some animals will do better with a particulate substrate, but at the same time that means the owners need to be all the more diligent about minimizing impaction risks. This is why people are suggesting the feeding container with no sand... Also, Liz is right. Your lizard might be happier with a mixed substrate that it can actually make burrows in. If you mix organic soil in with your sand, it will be able to hold it shape a little better as your lizard digs through it.

20. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

There is a difference between an impaction and a blockage. Sand usually builds up over time (from what I've read) A blockage would be the inability to pass a larger object. Such as bark chips.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.