This Disappears When Logged In

The Importance of a Good Herp-sitter!

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by annarawrr, Apr 2, 2012.

1. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Hi everyone! Just wanted to share with you this nice story about my grandparents. Putting this in the health section because well, bad sitters can be VERY bad for your herp's health!

So as some of you may already know my ig Killer is not the easiest of pets to care for, personality wise. He is flighty and can get very aggressive, is extremely strong and clever (can escape any man made contraption including cages and leashes no matter how snug) and will go on hunger strikes when angered. I was going overseas for two weeks and was in desperate need for a pet sitter since I couldn't trust my housemate with him (she's scared of him plus the last time she fed him he escaped!). So I begged my grandparents to take him in, to which they reluctantly agreed.

My grandparents have absolutely no experience with reptiles, so I wrote them a very specific list of things to do (lights on at 8am - 8pm, only DARK, GREEN, LEAFY veggies, mist twice a day etc) and included the vet's number. I told them NOT to open his cage at any cost because he might attack or escape. Regardless, I was very anxious and called them almost every day to ask how he was. At one point my grandma told me he'd grown twice the size, and i prepared for the worst: They had lost him and then replaced him with a different ig! Haha I can be very paranoid about my babies.

I rushed to pick him up as soon as I could after I got home and really prepared myself mentally for the slew of things that could have gone wrong: Stuck sheds, nose rubbing because he was in a smaller portable cage, any illnesses of any sort, but nothing was wrong! In fact he really had grown about a third of his size! He's huge and a bright lime green colour and a small burn he had when he arrived there had almost completely vanished. They even cleaned the cage although I told them not to in case Killer got out. His legs are noticeably larger and more "buff". He looks better than ever before and I'm so grateful my grandparents took such great care of him for me. He still has his attitude but at least he's happy and healthy.

I just wanted to write this to show you guys that as long as you pick someone responsible and kind to help out with pet sitting, and you provide them with specific care info, it doesn't matter if they have much experience in herps. Choose wisely and you might just be surprised!

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Grandparents are the best.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Thats wonderful that your grandparent did this for you! Bravo to them for taking such good care of Killer, sounds like they are very caring people. I'm glad that your roommate didn't look after him!

I can't wait to see photos of Killer again.

4. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

I'm so happy they took such great care of him. He's being extremely skittish as usual and my housemate lost his leash (don't even know how or why) so I'm going to have to make a new one before I take him out for more photos! :D