This Disappears When Logged In

thawing

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by SKULLMAN, Nov 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SKULLMAN

SKULLMAN Elite Member

is it better to thaw a pinkie in warm water or just let it thaw on the counter at room temp?

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Counter at room temp...or better yet under a heat lamp....gives it the temp of a live one...in water just marinates it,,,,and it aint no steak !!!

3. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Really? We've been doing it in warm water all along, and both snakes haven't had a problem with it and eat with gusto... Is there a health reason for not doing it in water? I don't want to risk the health of our snakes! :eek:

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I don't think it's a health issue, probably no harm at all. I know our tap water is heavily treated (smells like a pool) so we use zoo meds Reptisafe for all drinking, misting and turtle water. If you do soak em to defrost you might want to use that

5. SKULLMAN

SKULLMAN Elite Member

hey thanks our tap water is the same

6. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

The stuff works great,,,we purchased a 8.75 oz bottle (258 ml.) about a year ago and it's still 2/3 full.....just a little dab'll do ya !!!

7. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Ok, we do use Reptisafe for the drinking water, but I never thought of doing it for thawing since I dry off the "radioactive meeces" :D (my daughter and I got a big kick out of your post in the other thread asking if that's what we feed Spectre) before feeding them to the snakes.... Thank you for the suggestion, and we'll start doing that. :)

8. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Use it to mist also,,,it reduces the white deposit buildup left when the dropletts dry

9. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

I always thaw at room temp, whats the rush :p , if you take them out early enough, a few hours before you want to feed, I always go mad if my partner thaws them in water, it makes them all sloppy and smelly, my snakes never starve thawing at room temp lol, sometimes the pinkies I do in water as they go all shriveled and dry up if I do them at room temp :eek:

10. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

We usually thaw in hot water - even if we leave the largest rats all day they are still not defrosted by feeding time! :p We don't add anything to the water - it's perfectly fine,. only thing is they smell more :p and we use a lot of paper towels drying them!! :D

Our snakes don't have a problem, and we dry the food items at least on paper, sometimes with a hair dryer (some will only eat when the mouse/rat is very warm).

Whichever way you find best for you to defrost is good - we only defrost in water because of the time scale as i said,. but you will work out a way that suits you. Just don't put the rats and mice in the microwave! :eek: :D

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It really won't hurt either way. And if you want to thaw in water just put em in a baggie!
    I just put mine on a saucer in a warm part of the house and let them go. This apparently lets a bit of the smell get to the snakes because by the time ithey are thawed every body is out and looking around.

Got Mice? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.