This Disappears When Logged In

Thawing Methods

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Hebidoshi, Mar 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

Braining a pinkie?! Bleugh =P
    Can you please describe how that is done? I can't help it now, my morbid curiosity has taken over...

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,
    "Braining" a pinkie is pretty simple. You use a sharp object, like a razor knife, and cut through the upper portion of the head, exposing brain matter. With picky eaters, this technique works well. There is a scent that is emitted that triggers a feeding response in many species. It is actually low on the list of techniques to use though. There are much less traumatic things that should first be tried.

Rayne was a fussy eater when I first got her. Actually, she wouldn't eat at all. I tried every trick in the book, and she refused every pinkie I gave. So I brained a F/T pinkie and tossed her in a small box with it. She ignored it completely. So I brained a live pinkie and did the same thing. 5 minutes later, the pinkie was no where to be found. She hasn't refused a meal since and readily takes F/T. (She is 4 years old. I have had her since she was a neonate.)

In regards to the initial question, I prefer to leave the mice out in a container I use for thawing. Sometimes the odor bothers me, sometimes it doesn't. Depends on the rodent, how long it has been frozen, etc.

3. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

*Blork* :( Um...does that ever become necessary for half-grown snakes who used to eat just fine, but who don't like the adult mice they've grown into and are being stubbornly ridiculous and refusing to eat them (*casts a fearful eye in Spectre's direction*)...it won't come to braining mice to get Spectre to eat, will it? Surely he'll get hungry enough to eventually give in and stop holding out for the smaller ones....right???...*gulp*

4. rbl

I knew I shouldn't have asked... You brained a live pinky?!?!
    Guys, if I ever say that I'm planning to buy a snake, someone please whisper "braining" to me and send me this thread's url.
    I've just skipped lunch =P

Just for future reference, is there any other species besides snakes that needs brainings or pinky presses?

5. smallgrayfox

I have four snakes and not once have I had to brain anything...and I haven't fed mine anything live, brained or otherwise...*glurk* :(

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LMAO!

Not all snakes require you to resort to this sort of thing. It usually is a hatchling or neonate that is being difficult about beginning to feed. Keep in mind that lab mice are NOT the natural diet of many of the snakes we keep. Sometimes you have to resort to some trickery to get them feeding.

Marsha a pinkie press is a sort of "grinder" that basicly liquifies the pinkie and shoots it into the stomach like a syringe to make force feeding easier. If you ever had to try to cram peices of pinkie down a hatchling cornsnake you would understand!

7. rbl

Now Merlin, after reading Rich's post I'm sort of ready for anything =)
    Can you please explain me what can happen raising 4 kids that makes pinkie presses, brainings and exploded soggy rodents "light" stuff? =)

8. Merlin

LOL ANY parent should be able to relate to this one.

Diarrhea
    Vomiting
    Constipation
    Changing diapers
    Snotty noses
    Various illnesses.
    Cuts and abrasions.
    And we haven't even gotten anywhere NEAR the teenage years!

9. smallgrayfox

Your point is WELL taken :D I could go into great gory detail on several of the topics you mention above, but I'll spare those without children any graphic descriptions and let them discover the joys and wonders of parenthood for themselves, if and when they decide to have children (heehee)....In spite of all that, I wouldn't trade my kids for anything...most of the time ;) :D

10. rbl

Oh man! That all together doesn't come near a pinkie press! =)

I'm not a parent but my bother and sister are 11 and 9 years younger than me. From all that sort of stuff, the worst was when they were little babies and vomited (a bit or all) the breast-fed milk. (That has a particular name but I don't know what's called) It's disgusting! Your clothes are ruined forever!
    The second worst thing was "flipped fingernails" (don't know the name also). When your fingernails bend backwards and you almost rip them off =P
    But these two are small potatoes when the stakes run as high as braining live pinkies =)

I couldn't do it. I have the highest respect for all living creatures and the idea of inflicting pain to one is very upsetting.

11. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I'll take braining, pinkie presses, exploded rodents in microwaves and any other snake-feeding horrors you can dish up over kids (and Merlin's list) ANY DAY!!!! :D
    Congrats to all you parents out there brave enough to take on that adventure!
    PS--rbl, my best friend's new baby did the "breast-milk vomit" on my shoulder and I must say that smell is worse than exploded thawed-rat (at least I don't usually have THAT on my shoulder and in my hair!!) :eek:

12. Merlin

Oh no no no noooooooo! You haven't got NEAR the full effect of being a parent! As Juliane said I could go into a rather lengthy description of details involved in some of the more unpleasant aspects of childrearing but I won't.
    But just a slight hint...
    Ever had to releive a constipated infant?
    And it isn't with drugs!

13. Hebidoshi

Hebidoshi Elite Member

Oh... Merlin, thanks. You just made my day. *falls off her chair*

14. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,
    For the record, I didn't enjoy braining the live pinky. I did what I needed to do to get my girl to eat. Fortunantly, I didn't do it and have the snake refuse. It worked and things have been good since.

15. rbl

Ok Merlin, I agree with that! Being a parent is not the same as being an older brother, but I was very much involved in those parenting acts and played an important role in those early years, although I must say I was spared from any actions involving enemas, lucky me =)
    That said, I understand how you state that after 4 kids nothing in snakes get to you.

Rich, don't worry, I don't believe anyone imagines you braining pinkies while a sinister laugh emerges from a surgical mask and echoes into a fade =)
    Or at least no one didn't until I wrote it ;)

16. Merlin

Good for you!
    LOL who said anything about enemas! :eek:

Boy has this REALLY wandered off topic!

17. rbl

Well.. you said in your last post, or at least that's the way I understood it =)

18. EricJ

EricJ Active Member

Uh... There are ... other ... ways.

Mammals are just nasty creatures, especially the meat-eating omni- and carni-vores. They're just easier to keep because we happen to be mammals and we understand their needs better.

I totally respect people that can properly raise children.

19. Merlin

Um,... Lets just say it was a bit more manual!

I used to tell people that due to raising children, keeping pets and working in the wholesale pet trade that I have been pee'd on, puked on, crapped on, bitten and scratched by virtually everything imaginable!

20. rbl

:eek: Now this thread is totally beyond all hope!

LOL! Did you keep a record of that? It probably will make a nice CV and some pretty wild stories to tell to the grandsons =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.