This Disappears When Logged In

Thawing Methods

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Hebidoshi, Mar 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hebidoshi

Hebidoshi Elite Member

I have frozen rabbits coming in the mail sometime this week and I wanted everyone's opinion on thawing. Should I leave it out over night and covered? Run it under hot water?

Suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

With the larger rats, I just set them out in a ziplock bag covered in a towel overnight. I have used the hot water method when I forgot, but I always end up with a soggy rodent. lol

3. Hebidoshi

Hebidoshi Elite Member

I'm trying to decide which is worse. A soggy rodent or an exploded one. I think it's the latter. :p

4. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

Oh man... I must stop reading snake feeding threads =)

5. boyblue

boyblue Elite Member

i never remember anything until the last minute so i allways leae them under hot water. i have a reptile towel that i use to dry them with so that helps.

6. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

We choose to either get them out in the morning and let them defrost at room temp, or defrost them in hot water - it's personal preference, and depends on what we are defrosting, eg. if we are feeding the whole clan which includes a few large rats, we will often just defrost in water as it's quicker, however that involves a lot of paper towels to dry and slightly more wiffy rats :p Sometimes we dry them with a hair dryer :D but usually only for the fussy ones who won't eat cold rodent :D

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Trust me Hannah, its definately the exploded one!
    Specially in the microwave! EWWWWWWWWWWWW!

8. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

If I remember, I take the rats out in the morning and let them defrost at room temp. If I forget, I put them (inside their ziplock bags) into a bucket of warm water and change the water about 2-3 times with warmer water as it cools.
    Do NOT use boiling water... an exploded rodent is really a stinky disgusting mess!!
    Talyn doesn't mind eating a wet rat... and I think it offers her extra moisture. But Q and Monty won't eat anything unless it's dry.
    And I have to blow-dry Monty's pinkie rat pups until they are about 100 -107 degrees F otherwise he won't eat them.

9. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

I've tried both letting mice thaw at room temp. and using warm water (changing it several times as the water cools). I definitely like the warm water method better...I felt like the ones at room temp. started noticeably bloating, which made me worry about impending explosions...yuck...soggy is definitely better. I dry the mice with paper towels, although if I were using something as large as rabbits, I'd have a dedicated reptile towel for that.

That's funny ...I feel like the water thawed ones are less stinky than the room temp. thawed ones ...guess different people have different stink sensitivities :D

Yuck, Merlin! The microwave??!? :eek: Would anyone actually do that??? :eek:

10. boyblue

boyblue Elite Member

i will admit that when i was younger i tryed it and the result was..............DISGUSTING!!

11. Merlin

LOL! Many keepers I have talked with have tried it...
    but only ONCE :eek:
    And it generally seemed like a good idea at the time. Until you try it!...
    ONCE! :eek:
    Mousey guts all over the inside of the microwave are NOT easy to explain to your housemates! :(

12. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

I use warm water too...I like that they are getting some added moisture. :)

13. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Maybe some enlightening on this---------I read on a post somewhere that thawing quickly is preferable to slow because taking too long the food is decaying at a rapid rate.????

14. rbl

Kriminaal, it's the eternal problem. Doing it quickly prevents that decaying but the methods used will be as harmful (or even more) than the "damage" of doing it slowly.
    Try this: pick 2 frozen stakes, take one out of the freezer and let it thaw "naturally" and just before it's done, take another one out and thaw it in your microwave. Grill both and eat them.

15. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You're not talking mouse steaks right? :D

16. rbl

LOL Mike!! When you think a snake feeding thread cannot go any lower than people comparing soggy rodents to exploded ones, someone proves you wrong! =)
    I wish Rich would create a special "classification" for these threads, then I could tick a box and everything bellow "wet rats" would be ignored ;)

Seriously! Everyday I don't see threads involving Pinkie Press syringes or sex probes, I give thanks!

17. Merlin

Oh do you want to discuss pinkie presses? :p
    LOL after raising 4 kids there isn't much about reptiles that can get to me!

18. rbl

LOL!! I can't believe you just said that! =) But I'm not even going to ask how and why do you make that statement! =)

19. EricJ

EricJ Active Member

*chuckles at rbl's comments...and agrees*

20. venus

venus Founding Member

Ok, now I have heard of braining a pinkie, but a pinky press...ewwwwwww. I have not had to pleasure of braining one yet, but I know Donna has talked about it before and she said thats how she gets picky eaters to eat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.