This Disappears When Logged In

That's the one!!

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by jacky, Apr 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Acrantophis dumerili,that's the snake with that wonderful skin I was talking about in my other thread!! I saw that some of you got one of those!Aren't they great to touch;not like any snake!!
    My bp breeder got a lot of them;deffenetly on my wishlist!!
    It says they are very calm,docile and curios snakes,and don't get too big,but sure bigger than a bp! :cool:

2. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Ah yes Jacky, beautiful snakes.. we have a male (Ramuh) and a female (Phoenix) - we have put them together this year and are hoping for a successful breed later on in the year. They are stunning snakes, with a lovely temperament in our experience, can be fussy feeders though, but a nice snake all the same. Endangered in the wild (and therefore, over here at least they require paperwork and microchips in captivity),. Joe informs me that they have been recently reclassified to Boa dumerilli.

3. Amelia

Amelia Elite Member

Dumerils are wonderful, great patterns, and they definately have a smooth feel to them, especially as youngsters. I happen to find particularly neat about them is the markings that they have underneath their head, guess it would be neck/throat area. I believe we have for our adult animals, 2 males and 7-8 females, they are all pigs, and I have never been bitten by any of our adults, or any babies here for that matter, they can definately get some size on them, our oldest female here is 9 years or so, give or take, and she is just pushing it at around 7 ft I would say, they definately get some length to them, but when compared to other coas, say common Bci's, they definately do not get so bulky, and with the varying patterns and colors they can all have, make just beautiful animals to see. Look very much like the madagascar ground boas, but to those that are familiar with both species, it is definately noticeable on how different they appear from one another.

A few of our adults look like the first few inches from their heads and down, look like they were dipped in red/pink koolaid, and a few of them just have very cool patterns and coloring, if you would like I can snap some pics of some adults around here, and even a baby.

4. Herpmom

Herpmom Elite Member

I would love to see some pics of your Dumerils....

5. Bitis Gabonica

Here are some pics of our dums.. Phoenix is ?5-6 years (first three pics), and Ramuh who is around ?3-4/5 years (last two pics),.they are quite small for their age, with both maxing at around 5ft in length. I find them a really nice size - a chunky snake, but not grossly big. They don't need masses of space either, as they are ambush feeders, and quite shy snakes, where they prefer to hide away waiting for food to come by than being very active.

I have heard babies can be fussy feeders to start with, Amelia? With babies they should be fed once a week, but as they get to adulthood, over about a year in age, they should be fed less often - you should wait for them to defacate before giving them their next meal - as their metabolisms slow right down.

Attached Files:

6. Amelia

Amelia Elite Member

With babies, yes some can be fussy, some babies eat their first times right off the bat, while others take a little longer, sometimes with those fussy ones all it takes is a few force feedings of some smaller food items, and then bam some turn right back around and start nailing food.

7. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Man oh man oh man oh man! Sheer torture! That's the wonderful snake I held at the pet store that I want but can't buy...*sniffle* *sob* :eek:

Beautiful snakes! Yours are gorgeous! :)

8. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Awesome snakes Bitis!!! Another one just moved to the top of my wish list! lol :D :p

9. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

They are soo beautiful.I still can feel their skin,when I touched them at the breeders.
    How big are your cages,and yes please,Amelia,show us some pics!!!

10. Joe

Joe Elite Member

The cages that the dumerils are in at the min are 3'(L) x 2'(W) x 18"(H) if they were bigger then they woulb be in 4' long (other dims the same).

Hope this helps

11. Bitis Gabonica

Thanks guys, they are a beautiful species,. as Joe said our two are in individual enclosures, measuring 3' x 2' x 2' and 3' x 2' x 18". They don't need height as they are terrestrial snakes, and don't tend to climb. They are ambush hunters so they don't move about too much. Ours are quite small for their ages - they can grow bigger but they are not massive snakes. I wouldn't house one in anything larger than 4' x 2' floor space, because a) they just don't use the space, and b)they can be quite shy and too big a space might stress them out. They tend to hide away under substrate and wait for food to come along. The most active i've seen ours is when they mate :p And they are very docile, calm snakes, although our female is a little more shy than our male and has to be approached slowly so she doesn't get freaked.

Thanks for the info Amelia, will hopefully come in useful in a few months if our female is gravid! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.