This Disappears When Logged In

That's It. I Give Up.

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by schlegelbagel, Aug 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

This is now the 3rd time the white's tank has been infested with spider mites. I need to either replace all the pothos with something else live, or just go fake in those spots. The other two plants in there aren't bothered, so I know its the pothos. It has to drape down because its near the top.

I guess I"ll head off to the fancy garden center one day this week and pick out something, however fake is looking better and better. :mad:

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Aw, that stinks Liz. Do you have pothos in the other tanks?

3. schlegelbagel

I do, in every other tank. Its only this one they infest. I don't get it. I was thinking it has something to do with the bark maybe, but the RETF tank has bark in it too...

4. kcftlaud08

kcftlaud08 Elite Member

I hate to be the only fake lover but that's what I got for my tank. I have a boa and she has a hide but when we are outside, she always hangs out in the brush. I didn't go to a fancy garden center. I just went to a local arts and craft store. Now she has ivy leaves and sawgrass-type stuff laying about and she is quite happy with it. It makes clean up easy since she likes to do her business when I'm at work and stuff just seems to get all over. It's not a totally bad idea.

5. schlegelbagel

Yeah, I'm definitely not saying fake is bad. I'll still have the moisture from the coco-husk and they would still have hiding places. And like you said, I can just take it all out and wash it as needed. I'm considering...

6. schlegelbagel

Hmmmm, I have been going through a enclosure-friendly plant list. This one came up.

Its called String of Hearts
    [​IMG]

or a Wandering Jew
    [​IMG]

Or I might just go fake.

7. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Dunno anything about the heart one, but if I remember correctly the Wandering Jew is pretty hardy and sturdy. Should be able to withstand a white climbing all over it.

8. Dracus

Dracus Elite Member

That's not cool.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Spider mites are a pain. And I am surprised that they are not on every plant you have! In fact that may be why they keep reinfesting.
    Wandering jew is a nice plant but its a bit more herbaceous than the pothos and parts break off easily.
    However they will just lay in the bottom and root and could give you a bottom mat if that is to your,....and the frogs, liking.

10. schlegelbagel

I just don't get why they are on THIS plant in THIS tank and nothing else. I have a bazillion other pothos in the house, in tanks and pots. Perhaps this batch came in on the plant right from the store? This is the pothos I added after I ripped everything apart from the ant invasion. I think I'm just going to go fake for the time being. I'll swing by Michaels on the way home and see what i can find. Maybe I'll even add some fake flowers for color. Who knows...

11. leahbrd

leahbrd Elite Member

When my mother bought her new house she spent MONTHS trying to dig up wandering jew from places it thrived. It's very easy to grow, and I smile because I remember how many frogs my son caught when we were helping her dig it up. They really loved it. The leaves of an adult plant are VERY strong and sturdy, rubberish almost. It spreads VEEEERY quickly.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There are two different plants that go by the name wandering jew.
    One is a houseplant while the other is a weed.
    The houseplant is the one with purple on the underside of the leaves.

13. scooterlizard

scooterlizard Elite Member

Setcreasea(purple heart) is another one you may want to look at. It is similar to the wandering jew. Unfortunately spider mites are tough to get rid of. They become resistant to pesticides quickly. Fake plants are your best bet if the mites are a reoccuring problem in your home. Good luck.

14. schlegelbagel

Can't use pesticides in a frog tank!

15. scooterlizard

scooterlizard Elite Member

I stated the above as information to help, just letting you know how hard it is to get rid of spider mites. And yes spraying is not an option with the frogs. Pothos is notorious for spider mites and aphids. The varigated pothos is more prone to them. If you buy an infected plant you are basically doomed. All it takes is couple to get the colony going.

The only thing I can suggest to totally remove the mite problem is to remove the entire enclosure and overhaul it completely, that would not be an option in your situation. once they are established inside they move on to new ground and may infect other plants.

Here is something you may want to try, you can take cuttings from the healthy plants and place them in water and let them root to create new vegetation and start the plants in new containers. Later on when the plants are big enough you can remove the fake plants and put the new plants in. This way you are not introducing purchased plants that may be infected. Again the fake vegetation is the best bet for your situation.

16. schlegelbagel

Yeah, I think for now I'm going to go with fake. I just re-did everything about 3 months ago because of an ant infestation. This included removing and replacing all soil and plants, and giving the entire enclosure three rinses with a bleach/water mix. I think I'm just tired of bugs...

17. narnibird

narnibird Elite Member

Spider mites are horrible! Good luck getting rid of them.

18. schlegelbagel

Well, I now have half real plants, half fake. I guess its better than all fake! And i drown every little stupid stinking spider mite I found.

[​IMG]

19. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I think it looks great. They make very nice looking fake plants these days and the frogs probably don't care, so make your life as easy as possible, I say. :)

20. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.