This Disappears When Logged In

Thanks, Maillman, I Wanted Dead Roaches...

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by CentriRitanni, Jul 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

Just bought 1000+ dubias after expanding my colony capacity. Despite the box being VERY clearly marked "LIVE ANIMALS, DO NOT PLACE IN HEAT OR DIRECT SUN", the mailman went ahead and broke down the corners of the box so he could JAM it in my mailbox. So, despite the fact that I had someone at my house all day so they could take the roaches inside THE SECOND they arrived, they instead sat in a black mailbox for 8 hours in the Oklahoma sun (it was 100F and not cloudy... that's temp without the heat index, folks). I now have a damaged mailbox and 1000+ dead roaches. The post office will be having a lovely chat with me tomorrow.

What's the worst thing you guys have had delivered improperly?

2. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

this is why i buy my stuff in person, lol... anyways, i did see a shipment of dead anoles arrive at my local petstore, and a faulty pond -de icer delivered to me.

3. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

That's awful :(( I haven't ever had anything get messed up in shipment, but I've never shipped anything live either.

4. CentriRitanni

Unfortunately, buying in person is not always possible. I've gotten all my insects through the mail (except worms), and this is the first time I've ever had an issue... which, naturally, means it was my most expensive purchase... Murphy's Law for you.

5. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I bought hermit craps on Ebay, they where sent priority, 3 weeks later I got a box of dead hermit crabs :( They lost the box... Since the seller lied about what was in the package there was nothing that could have been done. He marked them as "Sea shells".
    The seller refused to do anything because the tracking slip said they attempeted to deliver them a few times, I was home all those times...

6. CentriRitanni

The seller mismarking it is illegal... (in the US at least, I assume Canada is similar). I would have pushed it, but I don't take being lied to very well (especially by people who took my money). I get grumpy when people screw me over, considerably more so when animals are involved (there may be a hole in my wall now... >,..,>).

7. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

Jacci, I am sorry to hear that.. Hopefully you will get some form of compensation..
    The worse for me happened when I was supposed to received a package from a dear friend in Chicago containing one adult Crested Gecko and my two baby hypo snow leopard gecko..Needless to say I was excited, but when 10:30am came and passed I began to get worried so I called UPS demanding to get answers when they threw a fastball...According to them they had already delivered them to the address and someone had signed for them.... As you can imagine I was furious!! Fortunately, Dispatch got a hold of the driver and everything was resolved.

Apart from that one incident, I must admit that I have been very lucky with both vendors, clients and shipping companies.However, I will admit that I am surprised that your dubias where sent via regular mail and not some form of express shipping.

8. CentriRitanni

I was too. They were sent 1-3 days, but all the same, I was not happy. Although, having said that, my last batch of dermestids were sent USPS and they brought them to the door and knocked. It took me almost a minute to answer the door (I had what was basically a quilt strapped to my leg from recent surgery), and the mailman was writing a note on my porch telling me to come pick them up from the post office before 5 or they would 1 day ship it back to the sender. I don't know if it's the same mailman (probably not), but I will say one thing: answer the door on crutches with a giant splint (I mean HUGE) and drugged to a T, then, when asked what's in the package, answer, "Flesh eating beetles," and you can get someone to go from a bit curious to asking if you need to lie down. XD

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  9. CentriRitanni

This is a copy of the letter I'm sending with my dad to the post office tomorrow (unfortunately I have a 14 hour shift, so I can't go). Any recommendations? Changes?

And yes, the receipts and tracking information have also been printed to attach to this letter.

10. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

I recently ordered four thousand crickets and one thousand superworms, but the shipper confused my billing and shipping address (Billing is an PO box). UPS doesn't delivery to PO boxes, so they changed the address to an house I sold over two years ago instead of the address that they deliver to 2-3 times a week currently. I knew something was up when I didn't see my shipment by noon, but couldn't get a hold of anyone with info until the next morning.

The shipper sent out a replacement right away, but I asked UPS to note my name and address to correct any possible future issues and they said they would not chance my info and that in the future, the shipper just needs to get the address right. I agree with that, but I can't control that side of things always.

I can just imagine the look on the woman's face who now owns the home seeing boxes containing thousands of bugs. That's okay though, she was a piece of work at the closing (wouldn't even tell us what appraisal came in at, and then proceeded to destroy the beautiful landscaping my wife and I spent years creating).

Did your shipper offer any guarantee? Insurance?

11. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I think it sounds good but I don't think I would put "dubia cockroaches". Rather just feeder insects. If they respond and want specifics I would but until then I would keep that info to myself.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Also contact your supplier! Get em from both ends!

13. CentriRitanni

Ouch. Sounds like the couple who bought my friend's house. They managed to stall the closing until she left the country, then all of a sudden an inspector found $15,000 worth of issues, so they offered to buy the house for $30,000 off. I drove by the other day (it's been 6 months) and the house is not bright yellow and the yard is dead. There are hideous lopsided drapes in the front windows, and the garden has been destroyed. My friend is an interior designer with an architectural degree... I was not even going to tell her about that. Yeesh.

As it turns out, there are at least 3 things the shipper did wrong. The postmaster doesn't come in on Saturdays, so she will compile a list of all the things he did wrong and send them to me on Monday, at which point I will contact the seller. The supervise seemed to think there may have been as many as 5 infractions in the shipping process and was equally surprised that the shipper sent it USPS in July... especially considering it was sent across the south, which has been averaging 100F without heat index over the last week.

Unfortunately, I'm now low on dubias (I had order 500+ nymphs and 500+ mixed under 1/2"). I still have the colony going, I was just hoping to get some more young ones in there to expand the breeding. So for now, no lizard food (the current colony is maybe at 200 or so, because, admittedly, I've been overfeeding from it). Oh well, crickets and worms for now I suppose.

Hopefully the seller will compensate without problem. If not, the supervisor said the postmaster is pretty good at arguing with people who have done this (it's not her first bug show, apparently), and she does not take it lightly.

14. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

Ugh. USPS is the worst. A full year and a half after I moved to my new residence (in Arizona), a package of 50 mature female dubias was rerouted to my old home in Washington. Phonecalls, emails, and general panic ensued. I was given multiple different answers by various USPS employees/call centers/managers. Regardless of the wrong address and name being ON the package, the package was actually sent out for delivery to my old address. As luck would have it the new tenants weren't home, and the package did get to me. To make matters worse, though the package was clearly marked "HOLD FOR PICKUP", USPS left the roaches in my mailbox at 100F+. The heat and 9 day trip took its toll: several females were dead on arrival, nymphs born in transit had begun chewing their way through a corner of the box, and 8 more females died over the next few days in the colony. Realistically I'm probably lucky that any survived at all.

FedEx left a delivery of 4000 crickets at my door (again, 100F+) despite the package being marked to hold for pickup at a local FedEx store. When I contacted FedEx about the error, I was told that the store in question was not allowed to hold live deliveries (though for some odd reason they had accepted SEVERAL live deliveries prior). I called the FedEx call center to learn where such packages could be held, I ended up with some dufus who told me that FedEx did not handle live deliveries AT ALL. Lovely.

Ghann's has been pretty bad as well - failure to send shipping notices, failure to label boxes as hold for pickup, etc. I wouldn't order from Ghann's at all if it weren't for their prices (and dirty jobs episode *lol*).

Needless to say: when I order a tarantula or reptile, I take the day off to make sure I receive the package immediately.

15. CentriRitanni

...AND another bunch of dead cockroaches, this time from CNS. :/ I think I forfeit.

16. CentriRitanni

Because it was 85F when the roaches were delivered, CNS won't refund. :/ That's kind of annoying. They did offer to add an extra 100 dubias to my next order when it's "not so hot", but that assumes it's ever not really hot or really cold in Oklahoma...

17. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I absolutely despise my local postal carriers and the individuals that deliver to my home from UPS.

The doorbell in my current residence is broken and as a result, any time I'm supposed to get a package, I leave a HUGE really obvious sign on the window next to my front door that says

"DOOR BELL BROKEN
    KNOCK ON WINDOW"

And they NEVER do! I have had to start having my local post office hold my dubia roaches and have stopped sending crickets to my residence because the deaths have become such a problem.

The last time I ordered superworms the carrier KICKED the box they were in. There was a shoe print!!!

And trying to get regular packages that can't die due to exposure is nearly as bad. I'm typically home all day when we get packages and they've NEVER knocked.

It's unbelievable.

I hope everything works out okay Jacci!

18. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

My worst experience was I ordered 2500 crickets, 200 superworms, and 100 wax worms. UPS lost the package, and a week later, the package showed up on my door step in 120 degree weather, with a massive hole in the top of the box. All the crickets were there, but dead, and only was able to save about 10 worms all together. Ever since then, I just have the package labeled in my friend's name and he will snatch it up before deliveries start and keep them in the cool break room until his shift is up at the local delivery center. His only request for me asking him to do that is that he gets to help feed the snake.

19. CentriRitanni

I actually had a conversation with the postmaster and my postwoman after the first box died, and they now bring all packages to the door and ring the bell and knock. These were not in my mailbox at all (turns out it's pretty easy to get people to comply to things like that when you walk in on a pair of crutches with a giant brace on your knee). I'm just a little frustrated, because according to the postmaster, they have to be sent Express mail, not priority, and they are supposed to be marked "Live Animal, do not place in direct sunlight or heat", which was lacking completely on the CNS package, and in part on the Dragon package. On top of that, both were "click-n-ship", and live animals are supposed to only be dropped off at a counter in a post office (this is all according to the Postmaster, so I'm certainly not going to argue considering she pulled up their website guidelines and pointed).

CNS says they will not refund because it was 85F when the package was delivered, and they won't guarantee live arrival over 85F. He said I should have had them held at the post office... well the holding room at the post office is not air conditioned, neither are the transport trucks, or the transfer centers... so clearly it was the 45 minutes it spent in the mail delivery truck at under 85F that killed them...

I don't want to dog on either of these parties, because they were both quite courteous for the most part when confronted, but I'm getting fairly frustrated with it. When they dubias were delivered today, the postwoman said, "Them more bugs?" I told her they were, she said, "They rattling around, so they probably dead." And they were... And she proceeded to point out the things that were wrong with the packaging... just so I wouldn't waste my time going up to the post office.

20. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

This made me seriously LOL :) That's just comical.

Edit: But sorry you have to deal with all of this nonsense...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.