This Disappears When Logged In

Terrible News

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by EriksExotics, Mar 18, 2014.

1. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

After 6 days of 0.1cc of Baytril, my Albinos infected tooth has gotten worse. From a tiny bit of yellow cheesy pus to large amounts of black and brown pus surrounding the infected tooth. We are headed back to the vet's office today and I really hope this infection is curable. It's really killing me... I'm going to request that the Vet takes blood samples and cultures so we can get to the bottom of this before it's too late. Wish me and my poor little Albino luck.. I'm incredibly scared right now and it is killing me that I can do nothing but wait until morning and hope it's not too late to beat whatever infection this is.

2. EriksExotics

He's on more Antibiotics now. 2 more days of Baytril, 7 more days of Clindamvcin

3. EriksExotics

The discolored pus was removed at the Vet and the lost tooth was found in the pus. Things should be fine and back to normal within days.

4. missmuffette

missmuffette Member

Erik...I'm currently sitting up with a touch and go CWD and saw your post. So lonely to worry about our "ones" (kids or otherwise) into the early morning hours! Sending warm thoughts on spring flowers to you and your Albino! Best of luck.

OH BTW, the folks at my local pet store here in S. Oregon "recommended" though they couldnt officially, Vetericyn. I've used it to clean mouth wounds (used it on my own sore throat). It has a slight numbing to it that helps calm toothache or mouth pain in general. ??

5. EriksExotics

thank you, I appreciate. Mind if I ask if you know any good places to find Rattlesnakes in June? Me and a friend will be all over Oregon in search for Kings and Rattlers mainly. So far I've heard they're popular in Klamath County/Lakeview area. We're starting in Milwaukie and then to Pendleton, Baker city, Burns, down to southeastern, Oregon, to Lakeview, Klamath county, Medford, Coos Bay, Newport, Astoria and then back home.

6. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

sounds like you got a case of mouth rot...... its usually a secondary infection caused by another unknown source..... the secondary source might be the tooth but could be another one somewhere.....

7. EriksExotics

Honestly, people sometimes associate cheesy pus with mouth rot too quickly as people associate stargazing too quickly with IBD. Snakes can only produce thick cheesy pus so no matter the infection, the pus will always be thick and cheesy since they cannot produce slimy/liquidy pus like humans.

This snake is in great condition. He's had blood work, samples taken from the infection and has had a physical inspection from the vet and is in great shape other than the abscessed tooth and infection. The vet believes it's a gram negative infection and between the two antibiotics, it should be fine within days. If the infection doesn't go away between the two antibiotics, we will treat it as a gram positive bacteria until results come back for the pus samples. His blood work is back already since we had it done on the first visit and the vet says his blood is clean and that he's looking good.

8. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

that's good its clean..... but id just say too keep a close eye on it though but its good your getting it taken care of...

9. EriksExotics

Now that all the pus is gone, I'm a lot more confident that it'll heal quickly

10. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

that's good, I wish your snake a speedy recovery... ill be sure to send a get well card haha...

11. EriksExotics

Thanks for the support! He got a bit of revenge yesterday... After taking him to the vet a.k.a snake torture lol he decided to leave a nice big urate in my lap -_-

12. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

have your snakes ever musked you before? I heard that crap really stinks.....

13. EriksExotics

Boa Constrictors can't musk. My corn snake is the only one who has that ability. She prefers to bite when upset, though! Hasn't musked yet

14. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

my cousin has a retic and a burm that musks him all the time

15. EriksExotics

Hmm... I've never heard of Pythons musking! Interesting

16. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Yes pythons can musk. My chondros have before, two of them but once only. BTW hope yours pulls out of its issue well man. Its tough having a sick snake , wish you both the best!

17. EriksExotics

That's crazy! Never knew that

Thanks, Joey. I'm expecting a quick recovery but if not, I've got a good vet on my side.

18. EriksExotics

Good news, Everyone. A few days after starting the new antibiotic, the infection started to go away... However, the snake had an "allergic reaction" type of thing to the new medication and developed a rash on his belly. I stopped the antibiotic immediately as recommended by the vet and within two days, the infection and the rash are both nearly gone! I am so relieved that this is almost over with.. Got scared a few times there.

19. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Well it's good it's on an up swing. Their care is certainly nerve racking at times. Fortunately I have one of the best herp vets in the country about 30 minutes away and a good vet literally across the street :) good luck and keep us updated!

20. EriksExotics

Thanks, Joey! Turned out to be quite a pain in the neck but it looks like things are finally going back to normal