This Disappears When Logged In

Terrarium Plant Advice

Discussion in 'Poison Dart Frogs' started by giveuptheghost, Jun 15, 2017.

1. giveuptheghost

giveuptheghost Well-Known Member

So I have generally had bad luck at keeping plants alive in my attempts, so just wanted to know if anyone had any tips for someone with an ungreen thumb.

My tank is an 18x18x18 ask terra. Bottom layer is lightweight clay balls, then a screen, then dirt- a mix of potting soils and peat moss, peticide free. I've got a light, but it's a 50/50 aquarium light, roughly 12 hours a day. I have a piece of plastic on top of the screen top to hold humidity in a bit more.

Every plant I put in seems to die within a couple weeks. It's quite possible I am over or under watering.

I've had the tank empty for awhile and preparing to give it another go. I want the plants well established before adding any frogs to it this time. So any tips on plant types and watering schedules would be helpful.

Thanks!

2. giveuptheghost

exo* phone auto correct ugh

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I know you can buy fluorescent tubes that specifically promote plant growth and you can also use a tube such as Zoo-Med or similar UVB 2-0. Plants types I can`t help with...

4. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Also... (can't help with plant types) but you can tell if you are overwatering if the leaves turn yellow, or under watering if the edges are turning brownish on the leaves (like burning). The burning thing can also indicate nutrient deficiencies if I remember correctly...
    Any chance the plastic over the enclosure is suffocating the plants? Most plants need good ventilation.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The problem most have with live plants is insufficient light. With a fluorescent it needs to be very close to the bulb. When I grew indoor bonsai I used a 4ft 2 tube fixture with one cool white and one warm white tube.

6. giveuptheghost

Thanks for all the tips. I seem to be doing alright with the 3 plants I have in it now. I removed the plastic top and have been better about watering. Based on one of the comments above, I think I was under watering.