This Disappears When Logged In

Terrarium and rack

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by BlackJack, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Well here's Talyn's terrarium again (3rd or 4th time changing it!) The rack underneath was planned as a baby rack. Under the red matts are grooves routered in to put a heating cable which would heat 1/3rd of the space. Big plastic boxes would then be put on each shelf: each containing 1-2 babies... Unfortunately, Q is a female, so no babies at the moment, and the construction of my second baby-rack has been put on hold. :(
    (This one will probably serve as a bookshelf in the meantime!)

Now the girls live together in this terrarium and seem to be doing fine.

Attached Files:

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It looks amazing Andrea!

3. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

That is a very attractive tank.

4. BlackJack

Thanks, guys!
    With the "baby rack" underneath, the whole thing is higher up and really makes a nice feature in the room. It's also a better height to take out the girls or to clean.
    AND it's on wheels!

5. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Awesome!!!! :D

6. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Looks great Andrea, I love it, cant wait to get started on my beardie cage :D

7. Bill Yager

Bill Yager Active Member

Awesome Blackjack,

Thanks for sharing Talyn & Q's home. What are the rough dimensions?
    Is that an aquarium inside the case or was the whole case built from scratch?

Have a great day...

Bill

8. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Awesome, and to think just a while ago it was pencil drawings with allot of question marks. You did a great job!

9. BlackJack

Construction pics

Thanks Jay: I did finally figure it out and it will work, but now the problem is the lack of babies! :(

Here are some construction pics: You can see how the heating cable is "snaked" (excuse the pun) in a groove through the back 1/3rd of the space. I would then put ceramic tiles over that to get a more evenly distributed warmth and then these plastic buckets on top with a temp gradient in each.
    Under the top front lip I was going to install a long florescent bulb to light up the front of the boxes and give some photo period.

At the moment, it's just going to be a fancy bookshelf, though! :p

Bill: I bought the terrarium separately: it is 150cm x 70cm x 120cm high. (59"x27.5"x47") and made of hard PVC board (Forex) and glass. The rack below is made of MDF and is 150x70x82cm (59"x27.5"x32") not including the wheels.

(If I had known that my BRBs didn't climb so much, I would have bought a 150x80x100cm terrarium to give them more floor space, but now that I've painted the backdrop it makes a nice focal point in the dining room.)

Attached Files:

10. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

I wish more than just my turtle's tank was on wheels! i'd have them rearranged faster and easier. Is really bites having to drain all aquatic tanks, pick them up and move them, refill them, and put all the animals back in. nice job, you did very well.

11. Disturbedcries87

Disturbedcries87 Elite Member

you bought that tank?? mind me asking where??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.