This Disappears When Logged In

Terra Cotta Pots Hides

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Beastie, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Beastie

Beastie Active Member

Has anyone used terra cotta as hides for their snakes? We bought a terra cotta pots and cut it in half so that it's two even halves. We are planning to smooth down the edges and use it as hides for our BP. Is this okay?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

As long as they are clean and appropriately sized they are just fine. keep in mind that bp's like their hides snug.

Beastie likes this.
  3. Beastie

Beastie Active Member

That's why we decided to cut them this way instead of using them tall. They're low to the ground and get more narrow towards the back. I'll give them a scrub before using them. :)

4. Merlin

If they are new a light washing should be all you need. old used pots may have absorbed fertilizers and pesticides.

5. Beastie

Beastie Active Member

Thanks Merlin, it's a new pot we got just for this purpose :) do you think it would be okay to have the large end of the pot as the opening as is or should I put the large open end against the tank and make the hole bigger on the bottom/small end so that all the sides of it are touching something? Hopefully that makes sense, I'll get a picture if need be.

6. Merlin

Just put it in the cage. The snake will likely move it around any way.

7. Beastie

Beastie Active Member

But the way it's cut he only has the large opening (that was the rim of the pot when it was whole) no small entrance, I'm just unsure if it being a ledge like that will feel "secure" enough for him. This is how it's cut (not my picture though as I'm stuck on the couch under a sleeping baby).

Attached Files:

8. Beastie

Beastie Active Member

I think I figured it out. He seems to be curious about his new digs. :)

Attached Files:

9. Beastie

Beastie Active Member

He seems to be enjoying his self.

Attached Files: