This Disappears When Logged In

Temps going to high

Discussion in 'Heating' started by Spikes the name, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spikes the name

Spikes the name Elite Member

Hi all
    I have split up my beardies fairly recently and summer is here so now my beardies enclosure is heating up quite high is there anything I can do to drop the temp? I have left the glass open to aid in this.
    but now find my office is cricket ridden.

I am using a 40w basking lamp.
    a screw in uvb lamp this one also gives off heat.
    (I think this is what is causing the problem.)

Is there anything I can do without getting another uvb lamp?
    I saw in another thread someone mentioned a fogger but would this be ok for the beardies??

I was just thinking its all sorted

:confused: :confused:

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A fogger is not an option. Too much humidity! If the temps are too high.
    Since your UVB gives off heat as well why not do away with the basking bulb?

3. Spikes the name

Wow I cant believe I didn't think of that
    Thanks Merlin

and another thing :

How do you respond so quickly??
    :D

4. venus

venus Founding Member

What are your temps on the basking side?

5. Spikes the name

I will have to check it my thermomitor is at home and my beardies are in my office.

I just noticed on the beardies behavior it was getting to hot so I put him back with his mate until I could sort it out.

6. venus

venus Founding Member

What do you mean behaviour?

7. Spikes the name

The first hot day came along and the beardie was spending all of its time on the coldest side of the cage and also the colour of the skin was much lighter than normally. Then the next day was much colder and he was back under the basking light and then as soon as it was hot outside it repeated the pattern until last week and I made the dicision to put him back into the old enclosure and now he is back to normal spends a great deal of the day basking and some time just walking up and down the cage.

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

have you considered a thermostat? I just installed one in my frog tank. It really won't be active in the winter, since its still not reaching the max temp i want, but it will keep it from getting too high once the warmer weather hits again.

9. Merlin

You really need to have a thermometer in the cage itself not just rely on guessing and checking it once in a while. Temperatures can fluctuate dramatically even over the course of 24 hours due to the ambient temperature in the room changing.
    If you have a digital thermometer that records minimum maximum temps you will have a much better idea of what goes on in the tank.

I pop in and out of the forum pretty often.

10. Spikes the name

I have looked at getting a Thermostat, But they are pretty expensive. The ones they sell in reptile shops anyway.

I am going to install a custom one that you get from electronic outlets as soon as I have set up a permanent place for my Dragons.

As for a Thermometer I only Have a battery opperated one and I used to leave it in the tank at all times but I was permanently replacing Batteries.

I am definatly going to install a thermostat though, it is on my list of things to do..

11. Merlin

You can get thermostats thru on line sellers much cheaper, by about half, than the ones in the shops. I paid 30 dollars for a ZooMed 500 watt. I don't know if they ship to SA or not.
    The thermometers that we use here you can pic up for about 12 dollars and they have a remote probe that you put in the tank so the read out gauge is outside. And the batteries last a long time!

12. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

or at least get a non-digital one. They aren't as accurate but give a good idea.

13. Spikes the name

I will have a look at the zoomed as all my lighting is manufactured by zoomed
    So I am sure I will find one. Thanks for the advice;)
    One last thing though would I connect the Thermostat to the Basking light??

14. Merlin

You can as long as the UVB light is staying on. The thermostat will turn the light on and off as needed.

15. Spikes the name

Ok I was planning on using a central heating system when I built a bigger Enclosure and I would have connected that to the Thermostat.

But I will connect the basking lamp for now.

16. Spikes the name

I have been trying to find an online seller but the ones I find want a fortune for the thermostats.
    Could anyone recommend a seller to me??

17. Merlin

18. Spikes the name

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.