This Disappears When Logged In

Tempgun.

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by Bitten & Clawed, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bitten & Clawed

Bitten & Clawed Active Member

We just bought a temp gun. I was wondering if any of you folks use one. I like it.
    It is a Pro Exotics model PE-2.

2. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I think we have the same model. I like it a lot. :)
    It really helps when my BP won't eat... I get out the hairdryer and warm up the rat, check that it's about 40C and then he usually takes it.
    It's also great for checking the temperature at different places in the terrarium after installing new heating elements, etc.
    You can use it all around the house too... well worth the money!

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I also use one. Its great for spot checking basking spots, cool areas etc.
    I like being able to get an instant read out instead of having to stand around and wait while a thermometer registers.
    You would be amazed at all the differences in temperature inside a cage.

4. Bitten & Clawed

Bitten & Clawed Active Member

I like being able to temp map the vivarium. And actually measure the animals external body temp. This part I find especially useful with venomous.

5. mldolan

mldolan Active Member

the best deal on temp guns is at Harbor Freight Tools, they sell the exact same model as some of the pet stores and online pet suppliers sell (at $39.00) or so for $15.00, sometimes you can catch them for $9.99 if they are on sale. also digital scales $10-15.00 if you are keeping track of snakes or feeders weight. in case you didn't realize it yet i'm really cheap. thrift shops are great places to get hides lamps and water bowls. usually 50 cents to a couple of bucks vice up to $30.00 for that petco crap. My mexican king drinks out of a waterford crystal bowl that i picked up for a buck at my local thrift shop lol. i spent a ton of money on fake plants for my pythons enclosure b4 realizing that i could have bought a whole tree for $5 at the thrift store, cleaned it up and saved a ton of money. those ridiculously expensive lighting fixtures at petsmart are $5.00 at Lowes. most of you already know this probably but for you that don't check those places out, get creative. I also have years of experience working with electronics so a $2.00 back massager/heating pad and a $9.00 light dimmer makes a great UTH. and i figure its probably better made than the stuff cranked out by slave labor camps in china and sold in the local pet stores.
    YMMV
    Mike

6. Merlin

Just looking at the website, it is a similar appearing unit, though not exactly the same. It would be interesting to test one out and see how it stacks up to the tried and true version.

7. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

I ordered a PE-2 tempgun and it came last week Friday so all weekend I was a tempgun fool LOL I love the lazer
    It was worth every cent for the great accurate results it gives...now dont get me wrong, I love a good$$ deal but when it comes to my kid and pets I wont scimp.
    So thanks Merlin cause I took your advice and ordered one lol

8. Merlin

LOL I know what you mean.
    When I got mine I measured everything in all the cages, as well as the walls, ceilings, and door frames of my home.
    NOTHING was safe!

9. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Andrea,

Where did you buy yours ? It is in Celsius ?
    I´m trying to get one via a on-line seller in Europe, but it hasn´t been easy

10. Merlin

Joao the units we have been discussing are able to read both F and C.
    You might contact ProExotics.com and see if they will ship or if they have a supplier over that side!

11. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Thanks Merlin
    I´ll do that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.