This Disappears When Logged In

Tempered Or Regular Glass For Sliding Doors?

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by MERCOOP, Mar 14, 2015.

1. MERCOOP

MERCOOP New Member

Hi Everyone, I am trying to find some info regarding the glass to use for sliding glass doors. I have searched through the posts and have determined that I am going to use 1/4" thick glass however I wasn't able to find info to help decide whether I should use regular glass or tempered glass. I am making a 4'x2'x1' terrarium with a divider for two leopard geckos. I was going to insert a plate of glass in the floor for the heat tape and use sliding glass doors. Each pane of glass would be 25.5"x10" The quote I received for regular glass was around $36 however the tempered glass was around $85. Is the tempered glass worth the extra expense or is it overkill? Thanks!!

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have always used just regular 1/4 inch plate.

MERCOOP likes this.
  3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I too have always used regular (1/4inch) plate glass even in relatively large enclosures housing relatively large reptiles.

MERCOOP likes this.
  4. MERCOOP

MERCOOP New Member

Cheers guys! Great to hear! :)

5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

This is where insurance will cause a balance in price. If you ever try getting insurance with large panes of regular glass vs tempered large panes... You will see a big difference in premium. Last shop I worked in was dropped by insurance for having to many large panes of regular glass, equivalent of 1 display was to much, so the owners converted to tempered and plexi mix. Their rates where lower than before they got dropped.

Things to consider...

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I just use plate. For smaller animals, it's generally fine.

MERCOOP likes this.
  7. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I guess I'm the oddball then, since I usually use and recommend tempered. Price difference isn't that bad in my area though, but it usually allows you to use thinner material, as in using 1/8" rather than 1/4", so the panels are lighter. With leos it would likely be overkill though, but I tend to over build sometimes.

MERCOOP likes this.
  8. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I can get tempered fairly inexpensive so usually go that way when the doors are of significant size.
    However for a 10" high door I wouldn't bother.

MERCOOP likes this.