This Disappears When Logged In

Temperatures.

Discussion in 'Pituophis (Pines, Bulls, Gophers)' started by Notafrog, May 19, 2011.

1. Notafrog

Notafrog Active Member

I just got an 18" Sonoran Gopher.
    I have been trying to get the heat right before I fed her. So I finally got a thermostat and I hooked it up with an UTH.
    I adjusted it and the temperature of the glass right above the heater is 94. The temp of the area above it with 3/4" of aspen is 82. I had more aspen over it, but the temp didn't change so I dug it out a little.

Here is my worry. I want the temp at 85 on the surface(from what I have researched, this is ideal), but I am wondering how hot the glass can be before it is an issue. Should I turn up the heat more or dig out the aspen. Maybe there is another substrate that would conduct heat a little better?

Thanks

~Alecia
    p.s I have added some pictures. I know the tank is bare but I am still working on it. :)

Attached Files:

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

How long after you put the aspen in did you measure the temperature?
    Also measure the temperature inside the hide.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Does your thermometer have a probe attached? if not if could just be measuring the ambient temp!

4. Notafrog

Notafrog Active Member

OH that picture is kind of deceiving. The thermometer has a probe that is about 4 inches long so it is measuring the temp inside the hide at the surface of the aspen.

I watched it for about 2.5hrs before I left for work. it seemed pretty stable.