This Disappears When Logged In

Temperature Help

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by giveuptheghost, Jan 18, 2012.

1. giveuptheghost

giveuptheghost Well-Known Member

So I'm working on my setup to make sure it's ready for the arrival of my yearling BRB in a few weeks (weather permitting) and I'm having some issues with temperature.

Here's the situation:

It's a 66qt Sterlite bin, roughly 21" long, 14" wide, and 13" tall.
    I have a 6 X 11 Fluckers heat mat, 7 watts. It's taped to the bottom of the bin on one end, positioned so it spans the width of the cage and covers just under 1/3 of the length.

There are nine 1/4" holes drilled on each of the 14" sides. On the warm side they are about 1/4 of the way up from the bottom of the bin. On the cool side, they are higher, about 3/4 of the way up.

I have two hides, both with spaghnum moss inside. One is damp and one is dry. The damp one is right above the heat mat, the dry is on the cool side. Next to the dry is a small water dish with an attached plastic plant. There is another fake plant in between the hides as well, just for extra privacy. I currently have it set up with paper towels for substrate.

Now humidity has been holding pretty well in this, but temperature, eh, not so much. Here's what I've recorded, day/time -- temp-- humidity. Most of these temps were taken with an Exo Terra digital therm/hygro, but the dry hide temp was taken with a Zilla digital thermometer.

In the Humid Hide (on warm end):
    Tuesday @ 3:53pm-- 74.3 --86%
    Tuesday @ 8:30pm-- 78.9 --91%
    Tuesday @ 10:24pm-- 80.6 --91%
    Wednesday @ 11:45am-- 80.2--90%
    Wedmesday@ 5:25pm--77.7--87% (at this point, the probe had been moved to test other areas of the cage and it seems to be climbing back up to a good temp, slowly but surely)

Cool End, on ground, between dry hide and water dish:
    Wednesday @ 12:00--68.3--93% (after the 11:45 reading in the humid hide, I moved the probe and waited a few minutes to get this reading)

On the ground, mid cage:
    Wednesday @ 1:32pm--71.4--95% (again, moved the probe around noon and left it for awhile)
    Wednesday @ 4:35pm--72.1--85%

Inside Dry Hide (on cool end):
    Wednesday @ 5:21pm--66.8--humidity not read (new thermometer bought and put in, around this time I moved the other one's probe back to the humid hide, and it's newer temp/hum readout is listed above)

I do have a couple cheap (petco brand) analog temp/hum gauges inside as well. According to those...
    Cool end temp, low to the ground is around 65.
    Humidity at mid-cage is between 75-80%.

So...what can I do to raise the overall cage temp? At the very least, the humid hide seems to be doing fairly well, but obviously the overall cage needs to be warmer than it is.

Would turning the heat mat so that it runs the long way across the cage help? Or do I need a bigger, higher wattage heat mat for this size bin?

I don't have my thermostat yet, still trying to figure out which one is best to go with, but I will have that before the snake comes. I'm just worried because without the thermostat, everything should be going at the maximum temp, and yet it's falling short. And I know high humidity with low temps can cause respiratory infections...

Any tips would be much appreciated! And feel free to ask any questions if there's some tidbit I've forgotten to provide.
    Thanks!

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

You can add another UTH to the side of your tub. I keep my baby GTP like that (one on the bottom and one on the side) and it does well to raise the ambient temps during the day and I turn one off at night for a drop in temps. Hope it helps