This Disappears When Logged In

Temp Guns: Air Vs Surface Temp

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by Dragoness, Dec 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

In considering temp guns to monitor all my herp enclosures, I have a few questions:

iIs it safe to assume that temp guns only take surface temperature? or can they measure air temp as well (like a digital that is stationed somewhere in the cage?)

Surface temps are not always an accurate way to measure ambient temperature. (or anything temperature. A humans body temp is 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit, but their surface temp is certainly not 98.6)

Is there any proven and reliable way to take an ambient air temp with a temp gun?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

No. A tempgun will not register air temperatures. They work by reflecting a beam of light off of a solid surface. Their use is limited to solid surface's temperature as well as the animal's body tempreratures.

3. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

If you want to measure the ambient temp as well, you'd be better off getting a temperature probe.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

thanks guys. I think a digital thermometer in each cage will do to measure ambient temp. I could still use a temp gun to make sure none of the basking surfaces (or any surfaces for that matter) are getting dangerously hot, or the water in some cages too cool.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have never tried it but I doubt that a temp gun would accurately register the temp of water. Just like it won't register the temp of the glass since the light passes thru the transparent glass.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

If you ever happen to try it, let me know how it works.

7. Brewster320

Brewster320 Elite Member

It can only tell the surface temp of the water but anything below that is impossible, i use one that I've had for a few years. I think it works good for basking spots and surface temps but like stated earlier, no good when it comes to air temps. Even if its not good for air temps i still recommend 1 for everyone as it can pick up hot spots and basking temps quickly.

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

the water where I would need to take the temp is well-circulated by the filter, so it might be safe to assume (Though I could be mistaken) that the temp will be fairly consistent throughout that pool. A surface temp would be sufficient.

It's on my "list of things to order after I get back from vacation"

I need to temp check a few basking spots and warm hides.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.